Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bunn coffee makers and electric $$$'s

Posted by chemocurl (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 5, 06 at 17:51

It is my understanding, that Bunn coffee makers are really quick at making a drip pot of coffee. I think the trick to it is that there must constantly be water in the reservoir, and it is kept heated, ready for you to make a daily (or weekly) pot, whatever the case may be.

Knowing that the home electric hot water heater is one of the biggest consumers of electricity, I would think it would be quite expensive to have the afforded luxury of a pot of coffee in 3 minutes (Bunn)instead of say 8 or ten minutes, for the other drip makers.

I just checked the directions for my drip coffee maker (Black and Decker) and it says to use cold water.

What are your thoughts on BUNN energywise? If you wouldn't use it for a few days, it seems the water would maybe evaporate some...how would you ever know?

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bunn coffee makers and electric $$$'s

Far as I understand, Bunns work by overflowing the water reservoir. The reservoir is kept filled and heated (to 200F). When water is added to make a batch of coffee, the reservoir overflows into the brewing basket at a controlled rate. I perused the FAQ at Bunn's web site. It says evaporation can occur if several days pass between batches of coffee, which can result in a batch not being "full" per the amount of water added. Simply add more water as needed to get a full batch. It doesn't say if there's a thermostatic safety that prevents overheating if the reservoir completely evaporates. There is a procedure outlined to drain the unit if it won't be used for an extended period of time and the instructions caution not to reconnect the unit to power until the initial "set-up" steps are done again (to properly fill the reservoir). There's also mention of some models having a "vacation" setting, which I assume reduces the water temperature.

There IS, of course, some energy consumption involved, but being as the amount of water kept heated is on the order of "10 cups" or so, it's not a particularly large amount. That's the trade-off for instant coffee! The reservoir is probably insulated fairly well. My mother had a Bunn for years, and I don't recall bunches of heat radiating from it.

o

We have had a Bunn pot for 20 yr. I think. I use the hot water from it all the time, for jello, for tea, instant coffee, adding water to soups or other cooking. We have replaced it twice, as keeping it hot all the time, the plastic sort of disentragated. We found two brand new ones at a thrift store for $5 each, including the carafe. Also anything that has needed replacement, the Bunn co. sent us a new one free. There is a switch to turn it off and on, and if one goes away for a few days or vacation, you just unplug it from the wall. It is my hubby's favorite, and I love the convenience of it.
Darlene

o

I agree with Darlene87. I keep mine on a timer. I think it makes the best cup of coffee. It does use more electricty than most other brands. But I love being able to pour the water in, walk outside to get my morning paper, and return to a fresh pot of coffee (about 3 minutes). There are only 2 downsides - my brother in law used the carafe to pour in water not realizing it would start flowing through the filter basket before he could empty the carafe - if you have hard water you'll need to use the included cleaning tool more often to keep the flow steady and fast. That said, I love the Bunn. It's better than starbucks imho.

o
RE: Bunn coffee makers

I was wondering if some one could tell me what the main differences are between the Bunn BTX • BTXB and the STX. I live in Colorado at an elevation of 5200’. I like the looks of the STX but it seems the BTX is a better coffee maker from what I have read.

Is there some one Who could shed some light on this for me.

Mike.

o

A quick look at the BUNN web site gave me this information:

BTX - Not designed to hold water in the upper water basin for extended period of time, such as overnight. It will leak water into the decanter when the lid is left open.

Why not give them a call - 1-800-352-BUNN (2866), or click on the link below, scroll down to the United States information (or Canada) and click on "Send Email".

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: BUNN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here