Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to send soaps/shampoo?

Posted by xminion (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 16:17

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone had a venue that accepts soaps and shampoo (the little samples you get in the room)?

Global Soap Project won't accept from individuals. I have been giving them to a local women's shelter, and disaster relief efforts. Any other places?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to send soaps/shampoo?

I'd like to know this too. Remodeling a bath and couldn't believe how much I accumulated.

o

I'd like to know this too. Remodeling a bath and couldn't believe how much I accumulated.

o

Try homeless shelters. I went through mine and picked the most exotic ones and put in a huge shallow champagne glass. I stuck a flower in one side and it look nice and unusual. I set it on the basement bathroom vanity for guests to use.

I gave the rest to my niece is on a tight budget.

o

I think it is great that you want to donate these things instead of just pitching them, but if you can't find anyone to take them, try keeping the little bottles of shampoo in your laundry area. Great for dabbing a little on stains, expecially oily ones on placemats or napkins. Also you can rub those little soaps on stains . Shampoo is also good in soap dispensers, near the kitchen sink, mixed half and half with water, for washing your hands or even the dishes. Running your fingernails over a leftover bar of soap before gardening can make cleaning up your hands later a breeze and you don't have ridges left in the "real" bar of soap in the bathroom. I keep the little bars in the garden shed with my garden gloves :)

o

Great tips for using them as stain remover, thank you Jak1.
I do like the idea of using the samples for a more altruistic purpose

o

Local charities should be happy to pick them up. I used to sell Avon, I had loads of "samples" (shampoo,conditioner,tiny single use lipsticks,tiny vials of colognes,etc) which I donated to my local "birthright" charity. They were very happy to accept them.

o

We all know someone serving in Afghanistan--many of those guys are seriously in need right now. A friend's husband is on a base where they've closed the base store--they now have NO access to buy anything--they'd be delighted to get a box of shampoos, soaps, shampoo, etc. And since they're not getting breakfast these days, if you send a box over, it wouldn't hurt to toss in a few boxes of granola bars, some dried fruit, etc.

o

Local Food Pantries will usually welcome these items and much more.

o

I pour the shampoo bottles into an empty standard size shampoo bottle and we use it.

The soaps can be used for homemade laundry detergent, melted for liquid hand soap or shower gel- add water, used as stain bars for laundry.

The mouthwash bottles - toilet bowl cleaner or bug spray on decks, base of house, etc.

Conditioner - dilute with vinegar and use as fabric softner.

Left overs I keep until I have a large box full then donate to a local homeless shelter with shower facilities. They are always happy to get them.

o

our USO will also take them: they keep a supply in the restrooms with a note letting the servicemembers know they are free to take whatever they need. Often servicemembers are stranded at these locations when travelling, and having supplies to freshen up really helps!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here