SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Household chores, environment and savings

User
16 years ago

I love to go back on this forum and read the older threads. Just finished reading Ed's 2003 thread (previous page) on saving money at home.

Well it's 2007 and all the points mentioned are still valid.

My 2 cents:

Elimination of expensive, harsh cleaning chemicals in my home by returning to the basics:

borax powder - great stuff, no smell, great disinfectant/laundry boost, floors. Read the box for more. Found with the laundry boosters.

apple cider vinegar - spray bottles with water to clean/disinfect surfaces

vinegar/soda down drains to lift up gunk to remove by hand

dishsoap for general wiping

old towels - no papertowels

get too many xmas kitchen towels - use them year round instead of napkins

Looking to expand on the basic cleaners as I clear out all the boxes and bottles of toxic chemicals. The house still smells clean and fresh - just like Mom's did when I was small.

Yep - I love wool in the winter, second hand stores/charity shops. I sew, refinish, reupholster some items. Salvage from other people's trash - I'm not shy. Surprisingly there are a regular group of us out and about on garbage night. I also put out stuff the day ahead that can be reused with a sign "free" and I regularly give to charity shops.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

CFL lights and LEDs are the norm too.

Anything new you are doing? Anything old you are returning to?

It's not just about saving money anymore for me, it's also about making a smaller footprint on our environment.

Your posts and comments I do read and enjoy. Thank you everyone. Let's wake this forum up again!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms