Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grainlady, where do you buy your kefir?

Posted by ilene_in_neok (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 13:38

After reading a few of your posts, I think I'd like to try this kefir. I had never heard of it before.

I sometimes make buttermilk and yogurt at home. I use nonfat dry milk powder as my base. Sometimes I'll keep a starter going for awhile, then I'll hit a period of time when I don't use it and I'm not sure if it's OK to use when it's been around a long time, so I throw it on the compost heap and have to start over with purchased yogurt and buttermilk. Sounds like the kefir might be something good to try.

I noticed also your link to moosmilk and I'm going to try that. Do you make kefir with moosmilk? If not what do you use as your base?

Also, where do you order coconut oil? I've googled a few places and it's all pretty expensive. Bulk storage is not always an option for me.

Thanks -- Ilene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grainlady, where do you buy your kefir?

1. Real kefir grains must be shared, person to person. Kefir is easier to make than yogurt, and much better for you (book: "KEFIR Rediscovered!" by Klaus Kaufmann and web site: Dom's Kefir Insite - see link below). There is a powdered version, but other than the name, it's NOT real kefir grains. Real kefir grains will last virtually forever. I've used mine over and over for many years. They grow larger and you pull them apart to make more. Powdered version of kefir is more like yogurt cultures, which are NOT self-renewing.

Check this site for a source near you:
http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php

2. I have used all kinds of "milk" products (liquid and reconstituted powdered "milk" products) for making kefir, as well as fresh goat milk, but regular liquid milk is probably the most common. The flavor and texture can differ depending on the "milk" product.

3. Coconut oil - Yes, it's expensive, but normally less expensive than butter when you figure it ounce for ounce. You can generally use less of it in recipes - about 25% less - and get the same results. I haven't used shortening or vegetable oil for about 15 years, or so. I always say you'll pay for good health, or you'll pay for bad health. I'd rather try the former than the later (so far so good). After a lot of study, I consider coconut oil a contributor to my good health.

I normally get LouAna brand at Wal-Mart (in the same isle as cooking oils/shortening). It's solid, like shortening, at room temperature. LouAna is sold in a round, white plastic, quart-size container with a green lid (under $5 for 31.5 fl. oz.). It starts to get mushy when stored at warm room temperature and liquifies around 78F. LouAna brand is tasteless. It's also non-hydrogenated. Always choose a non-hydrogenated coconut oil.

Other brands I use have a mild coconut flavor and I like to use those in a variety baked goods.

I also order it from Wilderness Family Naturals - http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals.com/ (mild coconut flavor), and I've ordered from Amazon.com (Nutiva brand - mild coconut flavor) when they had a good buy on it. Salt & Grain Society (http://www.celticseasalt.com/) is another resource for coconut oil (with and without coconut flavor).

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Dom's Kefir In-Site

o

Thanks for all that. Once again, you have been very helpful. I'll check into it. --Ilene

o

Grainlady, thank you so much for the wealth of knowledge you share.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here