Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In Need of Advice - Quick!

Posted by bizzymom2005 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 12:31

Hi All! Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! Here is my dilemma. Until now, both my husband and I worked full time. Due to circumstances we were not planning for, I am needed at home with the children. We have moved to lower our monthly bills. We have cut out most luxuries. I am already a frugal person as it is, but it just doesn't feel quite like enough. I shop at thrift stores for clothing, grocery shop at cheaper stores, use coupons when I can.

So I was thinking, since I cannot work out of the house, why not start something inside the home? I have 5 hours a day free while all the kids are at school. I also have excellent clerical skills. I can type 85 words per minute, and my ten key skills are wonderful. But as for deciding on what type of business, and how to go about getting it started, I am pretty much clueless.

If I could get something started to generate a second income, even a partial one, it would be ideal! I don't know if this is feasable or not, but if I could get some money coming in before Christmas, it would thrill me beyond all words. I am sure I am not the first person to be in a situation like this, so if anyone has any unput, I would be most appreciative!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In Need of Advice - Quick!

Look into medical transcription. It's done from home with the right equipment and you're paid by the word or page, not sure which. Worth some research, though.

o

Medical transcription can work but I have heard of a lot of companies that offer work in this field but they are really scam artists.

Can you advertise in the paper or on bulletin boards at schools or supermarkets offering to do typing at home? I would also consider printing some business cards. I don't know if you need a business license, though.

I live in a small town in a rural area and the local office supply store puts people together with companies that need their typing services.

o

I like Marie's ideas. In addition to secretarial services, you might include in your services simple bookkeeping (writing checks, sending invoices, balance checkbook, keeping records of expenses in preparation for taxes, etc.). I wish you luck. I'm sure you would be a great asset to someone, but those "someones" aren't always easy to find. I do think you'll have to run an ad and/or put your flyer up in office supply places.

o

When I was in college, I typed term papers for other students at 35 cents a page. And that was double-spaced. They had to write them out in long hand, I just did the typing. But I knew how to properly do footnotes. And I was an English major, so I corrected some spelling and grammar along the way. Any colleges nearby? Look for bulletin boards. Post ads offering to do typing.

o

A good outfit for helping in these situations is called S.C.O.R.E. See if they have a local chapter. It's an association of retired business people who give advice to people to help their businesses.

I don't have any other ideas, except to spread the word and tell people to spread the word that you're available for this type of thing. They might know of something for you. Word of mouth can be a powerful assistant.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: S.C.O.R.E. website

o

One thing really needed in our area is someone who will do bookeeping with Quicken for a small business. My DH is a CPA and he is constantly being asked who would do that service, since Quicken is different for accounting purposes. Could you come up to speed with that type of service? Maybe do some questioning of professionals in your area of what type of service is needed.

Gloria

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here