Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nov 2007-What's the 'special' specials on groceries in your area?

Posted by chemocurl (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 07 at 8:54

I thought it would be interesting to see what items there are at really 'special' prices throughout the country/continent/world.

Bakery-nothing special-Bread store has the best prices everyday
Canned goods-Canned fruit 14.5-20 OZ-5/$4.00
Dairy-milk-1 gal-$2.50
Meat-Ground Beef-$1.49
Misc-Sugar 5 LB-$1.99
-----Kellogg's Cereal-4/$5
-----Soup-Healthy Choice 5/$5-(save up to $8.45 on 5 'they' say)
Produce-3 LB bag Yellow Onions-$.88-Best price in a long time. I got the very last bag

I'm in Indiana. Please include your state/area too. It's interesting to see what is special in one part of the country/world might be an everyday price (or even high) in another part.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nov 2007-What's the 'special' specials on groceries in your a

My local grocery, one third of a mile away, so I can walk or drive there,has canned vegetables 2 for $3, milk for $2.99 a half gallon. Can't recall other prices off-hand, thgough I was just there yesterday.

o

Wow Jannie,

Stokeley's veggies are 5/$3 this week here...which I did not see as very special.

I see you are in NY.

o

Sue this is a good thread where we can all learn something.
Ground Beef $1.39/lb
Boston Butt Pork Roast .99/lb
Catfish Nuggetts .99/lb
15lb. bag Russett Potatoes $2.49
Del Monte Vegetables 2 cans/$1
Kellogg's Bonus Pack Cereal 2/$5
Sunflower Grits 2 16oz boxes $1
Kraft Mac&Cheese 3/$5 (remember when these were 2/$1)
3lb Bag Yellow Onions $1.49
5lb Bag Texas Red Grapefruit $3.99
I live in the south.
Lexi

o

My prices at the stores are similar to chemocurl. I live in Wisconsin. However many stores have baking products really cheap right now and i am stocking up. Woodmans has all brands of baking chips dirt cheap. I use Ghiradella for most of my chocalate needs. It is usually priced at $3 but is on sale for $1.49 a bag. The Heath toffee bits are the same price. My pantry is stocked. Sentry has Gold Medal flour for 98cents. I only buy name brand flour. I learned the hard way that it does make a big difference.

o

lexi7, you said,
Kraft Mac&Cheese 3/$5 (remember when these were 2/$1)
I forgot to add they had the Kraft Mac and cheese (the regular ones...not the fancy cheesy shell) 2/$1.
I usually just buy the store brands of those...usually about 50 cents everyday low price.

ninos said...
I only buy name brand flour. I learned the hard way that it does make a big difference.
I haven't found any difference in any of the many store brand/off brand flours. What is the difference? I always buy/use all purpose. I don't want to find out the hard way.

Sue

o

I always buy all-purpose flour, any brand is fine. I just don't bother with special flours like cake flour or whole wheat.

o

Here in Oklahoma:

Store Brand Milk $1.77/half gallon
Pilgram's Pride Boneless skinless fryer breasts $1.97/lb
10 # bag russet potatoes $2.59
Honeysucle white turkey $.99/lb limit 1
Del Monte vegetables 2 for $.88
Progresso soup 4 for $5
Granny Smith apples $.79/lb
pears $.99/lb
red seedless grapes $1.49/lb

I don't see many baking supplies on sale yet.

o

When i was first married i use to buy my flour from Aldi. For some reason my cookies were flat. Everytime i made them they came out flat(really flat). My girlfriend kept insisting it was the flour. I didnt believe her and i kept buying new baking soda/powder. Still flat! So i finally gave in and bought a name brand flour. She was right. My baked good always turn out great now. When flour goes on sale it is cheaper then Aldi anyways.

o

My brother had a bad experience with Aldi (I don't know the details,something he bought was old and spoiled) and now refuses to shop there.

o

Jannie,

I just posted at the KT about making pumpkin pies with Aldi canned pumpkin. The pies taste funky...like maybe the pumpkin was not ripe yet, or possibly over ripe...not sure.

In reading the one last can of pumpkin I have from them, and several other Aldi probucts, I see they have a Double Quality Guarantee. It says:
Quality, taste and satisfaction are always double guaranteed at ALDI. If for any reason , you are not 100% satisfied with this product, we will gladly replace the product AND refund your money. When corresponding, please include code information from can lid.
Visit us at www.ALDI.com

I think I'll go visit them now and let them know about the funky tasting pumpkin.

Sue

o

I just bought a can of pumpkin from Aldi. I plan on making bread with it. A while back i bought milk that didnt last to the expiration date. They replaced it with no questions asked and no reciept needed. I think i'll taste the pumpkin before i bake with it.

o

These are some of the specials that have been around here the last few weeks, but not all at the same time or at the same store:

Red grapes 99/#
Taters 10#/99
Turkey 89/#
Apples 89 for a 3# bag (one day only)
Tide 100 oz $4.88/coupon
Canned veggies 10/$3
Brown/powdered sugar 99
Sugar 5#/$1.49
Pillsbury flour $1.39 (5#)
Several Name brand coffees (Maxwell House, MJB, Yuban, Hills Bros) $4.88-$4.99 for what USED to be a 3# can! Now it's what, 33-35 oz? Don't recall offhand

Ground beef around here is relatively expensive, but usually pretty good quality. Ground Angus $1.99, Ground chuck $1.89, and often ground beef for around $1.89-$1.99 is the going "sale" prices.

Minnesota here. And we don't have a lot of competition in the grocery market. The average person has essentially two options, Cub and Rainbow. I do have a Festival which is close by but they are higher priced. There's also Lund's/Byerly's (now same merged) but they're the yuppie/upscale and high-buck places. I sure miss the days of Country Club, Kroger, IGA, Applebaum's, National and the like. There was competition then.

Aldi is growing in the area. I like it, but it's not a place you can get everything you need. They have great meat. Also have a pork sausage patty that is terrific. Bag salad is cheap. Don't care for their canned soups and the other thing is that the items vary often. So if you find something you like, don't bet on it being there in two weeks. But that's the nature of the store.

o

Yes, Aldi has a really good everyday low price on their bagged lettuce, and often much of their produce. I'll have to give their meat a try.

Anyway, 2 new sale bills just came out for this week.

The best specials are
Mixed pork chops- $1.19...Yay!
Bacon-Jimmy Dean-$2.50
Ground Beef $1.49
Ground Chuck $1.79 LB
Turkey frozen- $.68 LB
Eggs-Large-$.99-Yay!
Cream cheese-store brand- 8 OZ- $1.00
Dole Bananas $.33 a LB-Yay!
Celery-sleeved- $.99
Canned Yams-$1.33 30 OZ can-Yay!
Canned Pumpkin-15OZ-$.60-Gotta try it at that price.
Del Monte canned Spaghetti sauce-26.5OZ- $1
Cake Mix-Betty Crocker- $.89-Yay-stock freezer
Coffee Kroger Brand 34.5-39 OZ-$3.99-Anyone ever tried this brand? At that price I may have to try a can.
Pepsi- 5 6 pack 24OZ bottles-$10-Yay-stock up

Much of the above will be on my list along with a loaf of 'fresh' bread.

o

Oh yeah, I forgot, Betty Crocker cake mixes were 69 too. Canned frosting for 99 plus I had coupons for 50 off. Can't make it from scratch for that. Plus I like to make a sweet bread from cake mix. So I stocked up.

Chase & Sanborn coffee has been on sale & rebate often over the last year or two also. At first it was, I think, 99 for the "big" can, later $1.99, then $2.99, after rebate. I used to like C&S but didn't like it this time and I had bought like 4 cans so I donated them to a non-profit that I like. They really appreciated it. And I wanted to do something for them anyway. Frugal help is help nonetheless!

Aldi's has great ground beef and when I was there last they had beautiful chuck roasts. 3"+ thick! I didn't get one but sure wanted to. Wouldn't have time to cook it and not enough room in the freezer for it. I really enjoy a good slow cooked pot roast with browned potatoes.

o

cynic said
Oh yeah, I forgot, Betty Crocker cake mixes were 69 too. Canned frosting for 99 plus I had coupons for 50 off. Can't make it from scratch for that. Plus I like to make a sweet bread from cake mix. So I stocked up.

Could you start a new thread and tell us about your "Sweet Bread" that you make?

TIA

o

I buy lots of sale items now. Having a freezer means I can store many products for a month or more, and cans/jars/dried things keep for a long time.

Milk is 4 litre for 2
500ml bottles of olive oil for 1.75
250g ground coffee for 1.85
8 litres of fruit juice (apple or orange) for 4
Jars of curry sauce are now 0.78
Naan bread is 0.49 for two
Tomato soup is 4 cans for 1.17

o

BUMP

o

why bump an old post with year old prices... start a new one!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here