Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby furniture

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 05 at 7:25

My son and DIL are expecting my first grandchild in June. They have their heart set on three lovely pieces of furniture on display at Babies R Us. Lovely to the tune of over $1200 without a crib mattress, that is. This assaults my "thrifty" nature.

They've gone the North Carolina furniture route, and the local store selection route, but still go back to wanting this particular set.

Anyone have any ideas how to get it at a discount? I've heard Babies R Us offers coupons, but I've yet to see a flyer or even an advertisement for the store.

Help!?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby furniture

Are there any other family members who can provide hand-me downs? I mean, those cute baby rooms in the magazines with the matching furniture sets look so pretty, but a baby only stays little for a few years. Can you imagine a ten year old tom-boy in a frilly pink room? What about thrift shops? I got lucky. Both hubby amd I have older siblings with children (our nieces and nephews). We waited until our thirties to have kids, that's fashinable now I hear. For us it was just chance. I was 26 when we met, he was 30. Kids didn't come around right away. When we finally did have kids, there was a sigh of relief from both sides of the family. Along with the congratulations, what took you so long, we thought you were having problems, etc., came offers of gently used baby furniture. One crib had been handed around four times before we got it, and it still looked okay. It's just that everything didn't match. The pieces were a hodge-podge of colors and finishes. Nothing like the pretty matching sets in the magazines and baby stores. So I painted all the wood white myself. A crib, and two dressers. And tied it all together with the textiles. I told everyone I liked Disney, so as shower gifts we got Mickey and Minnie sheets, a Donald Duck lamp, even a Disney wall electric light switch plate cover. You can have a nice baby's room without spending a fortune. And yes I do think $1200 is a lot of money even in these days!

o

Jannie--Your nursery sounds darling! I remember my first baby's room-- he's the one who's about to make me a grandmother.

It was bright white, yellow and mint green. I painted a picket fence and grass and flowers on one wall, the alphabet with animals on another. I put a bright baby yellow carpet remnant in and hung yellow gingham curtains.

All the furniture came from a nurse I worked with who insisted I take them as birth control for her (wonder if it worked). Neither of my kids ever had new furniture, all thrift store and garage sales.

I'm kind of hoping as time goes on, they get more realistic about things and change their minds. But I can't say that out loud, of course, I'm the mother-in-law.

o

What is it about the Babies R Us set that has them so enamored? Perhaps something could be done to a different set to make it look more like that set, but at a more realistic price. Is something like this a possibility?

I was thinking if they could afford it and it makes them that happy let them do it, but I come from a philosophy that wasting money, even when you can afford it, is not something I care to do. And I agree that $1200 is a significant amount for such limited use. Especially thinking how many (cloth) diapers, bottles, and cardboard boxes (you know, toddlers favorite toys!) that could be purchased for $1200. Or even put that money into an account for the kid's future.
Maybe they could get interested in the challenge of personalizing it? Sort of a "Decorating Cents" DIY?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here