Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cheap Hot/Cold Medicine Packs

Posted by MetalMangler (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 23, 05 at 3:03

I'm kicking myself for not thinking of this, and for the fact that I just bought an Ace Hot/Cold gel pack last week.... Grr...

I was around some dancers yesterday and one had this bag she kept holding... When asked she said it was full of rice, and made a great pack to apply cold or heat to an injury/strain. She pointed out that she could put it in the microwave to heat, or the freezer to chill... No muss, no fuss. Just make sure the seams are tight, maybe a couple of layers of durable but flexible cloth, and you're set. Save yourself about 8 bucks for the commercial gel pack.

(kick... Kick... KICK!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cheap Hot/Cold Medicine Packs

It works. Although I tend to go with the old fashioned "water bottle"! I pull that out as needed and people are amazed! Something from way back that works as well as ever, and costs less than the rice to make a rice pack.

Just take a little bit of care, hang it up to dry when finished and mine has lasted 30 years and is going strong.

o

And every buck that one saves in finding better (i.e. cheaper) ways to get the job that one wants, done ...

... is equal to $1.33333 increased wages, if one is in 25% income tax marginal rate.

ole joyful

o

I have one made of corn and it is great. However, I have had it for several years and it is starting to smell like....corn. I have heard you can use cherry pits also and that aroma would probably beat corn! The corn one conforms to your achy aches, which is nice and with the prediction of soaring heating bills, it will be nice to warm up and put at the end of your bed at night.

o

The absolute easiest way to make one of the rice packs is to use a man's knee-high white athletic sock.

I usually cut off the elastic end of the sock first (not sure how the elastic would take to being microwaved). Just pour in some rice (regular, not instant), enough to make it fairly full, but still flexible, then stitch the open end closed.

I always snuggle the rice sock around a glass measuring cup with about 1/4 cup of water in it when I nuke the sock. Helps keep moisture in the rice, and then gives a "moist heat" too.

It is a good idea to make a removable slipcover for the sock. You can't wash the sock full of rice, so the slipcover helps keep it clean and of course you can wash the cover. You can easily make a slipcover with an old bandana - just one seam to make it into a tube shape that will fit over the sock.

o

I use a home made rice pack when I need a hot pack. When I need a cold pack, I grab a bag of frozen peas from the freezer. Stays cold longer (but must be properly marked so no-one will accidentally eat it...).

o

I don't have to worry about that mistake happening around here. The only thing a bag of frozen peas would get used for around here would be to put on a sore foot! :D

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here