Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good health just saved me some (additional) dollars

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 1, 03 at 0:50

Canadians say that any one of us that visits the U.S. without travel medical insurance has rocks for brains.

Prior to a recent trip through the U.S., when I went to buy that insurance, the application asked about a dozen questions regarding my current health status.

The lady looked at me and said that there are very few people over 70 who apply for it that can answer, "No" to all of those questions about health problems.

I told her that, as formerly a clergyperson, I'd seen more illness, some at a young age, than many. Which leads me to be very thankful for the good health that I enjoy.

Which also qualified me for their "Gold" coverage - at a lower than usual price.

While on the Prairies, when I bought insurance for the return trip, there was no such questionaire.

As, apart from check-ups, I almost never need to visit a doctor and have not needed prescription drugs in at least 20 (I think it's equally true to say 40) years, that has proved a big saving, as well.

Just one hospital visit that I can recall - about ten years ago to get face sewn up after I ran into a door on way to bathroom in early morning when just a trace of light available.

True story, I tell you - true story!

Which cost me nothing.

During the recent blackout in the U.S. Northeast and Ontario, Canada, a blind person suggested that we never leave a door half open - leave them either totally shut or totally open.

While on the Prairies I wrote a cheque to my seminary and to my alma mater - University of Saskatchewan.

Practical application of my thankfulness, you might say.

Have you given thought to which of your habits might have negative effects on your health status?

Or, if you are inclined to smoke or drink and drive, along with some other actions, the health status of others?

Sounds as though I'm being a bit "holier than thou" here, but I am well aware of some things that I do that are less than the best for either me or my effect on others.

For example - I drove about 1,600 miles in 45 hours to attend my brother's 40th wedding anniversary - figured that I should be there, as I married them. He's retiring from farming this year, as well - his son isn't interested.

And I'm sure that there are others that I don't recognize - I hope that I can be humble and self-critical enough to accept it when others point some of them out.

I've learned some things from some of you here - and I thank you for the information.

Good wishes to you all for good health, friends and enough to live on.

joyful guy/Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good health just saved me some (additional) dollars

Very good post, Ed. Young folks don't realize how expensive their habits might be many years ahead. Most of all I hate to see people be uncomfortable or depressed if they don't have to be, if they could have avoided it.

When I think of older folks I knew that were happiest in their later years, I believe it was those that worked hard to the end. Most of all I think it was that they were moving and not just sitting.

I wonder whether seeing the grim affects of bad later health up close when you were young, consciously or unconsciously caused you to change your habits. I remember reading that you eat oatmeal a good deal. You don't smoke. Drink? Do you walk for exercise? What else have you done to make yourself healthy.

One more thing, I think healthy teeth make a big difference--especially now that they are linking heart disease to gum disease and plaque. I stress dental health with my children.

o
RE: Good health just saved me some (additional) dollars

mid ten mama,

I've always been curious, tried to observe the world around me. One might even say, "nosey". And discuss it with others.

What do they say - some people discuss people, some discuss things, and some discuss ideas? I'm content to visit friends and have no activity laid on - discussion of a number of topics suits me as a fulfilling evening's activity.

I think that it helps if we can let our conduct be modified in the way of less risky activities by observing others.

Dad was a busy farmer and single parent (my Mom got sick when I was about 5, two younger brothers, and Grandma lived with us) when I grew up during World War II - I was kept out of school to help put the crop in when I was 11.

I think that I was about 18 before I knew that Dad would take an (occasional) drink - he liked Scotch. I seldom drink, sometimes a glass of wine. I don't care for the taste of beer - figure that they should pay me to drink that stuff. Except on a real hot day, after major exercise, such as haying.

The hotel owner where I worked as bartender a few years ago was really happy to employ me - don't recall that her enthusiasm resulted in much in the way of bonuses, though.

Last year when I spent time with my old uncle after his wife died, he liked oatmeal porridge most mornings. I took some wheat flakes, red river cereal, and that white stuff "farina?" that one maker calls "Cream of Wheat". He thought none as good as oatmeal - especially the white stuff (that he was barely interested in finishing).

Actually, he "finishes" few of his dishes - the dog gets the last part of most of them.

He was some interested in the sesame seed and flax that I added sometimes - and rather liked the raisins and dates that I added for a bit of additional zing. Don't think he uses such stuff now, on his own, though.

I should eat a more balanced diet - need more veggies, fruits, especially raw ones. Though I'd have to chop them pretty fine now, having only three teeth.

I haven't taken good care of my teeth - they'd likely still be operational, had I done so.

May I encourage everyone to brush and floss? Saves in the long run, and postpones the limitations on one's eating habits that store teeth impose.

I don't get as much exercise as I should - former landlady suggested that I get more. I told her that if there was some work that it was useful to do, I could do it. But just to go from here to there and back merely to say that I'd gone didn't turn me on too much.

She wouldn't let me cut the grass. Kept her lawnmower covered, behind the garage: she wouldn't go in. Her husband (quite an active Christian) had hung himself in there a couple of years before.

That seems to have answered most of your questions/commented on your observations.

I think that I'm a more open person than many - don't figure that I have a lot of stuff to hide.

As for some of my frugal pursuits - I don't say that others should live that way: very few people do. But I learned about scarcity and conservation of resources when I lived among refugees in Korea. I value my freedom, and thus should value the right of other posters here to live as they choose (as long as it doesn't harm others), as well.

But I feel that our resources are scarce, and we've been using them, especially petroleum, for less than a hundred years - stuff that it took millions of years to produce.

All of us North Americans (and most of the Europeans) are going to have to learn to live much more frugally, for the rest of the world aren't going to be willing to put up with the great disparities of use of the world's resources that we've come to know in the past couple of hundred years.

This forum is one where we are sharing ideas about how to achieve our goals in life at lower cost, without undue restriction of lifestyle. I have appreciated a number of the ideas that I've heard here.

And the friendships developed, as well.

Good wishes to you and yours for a lovely fall.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here