SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Good health just saved me some (additional) dollars

joyfulguy
20 years ago

Canadians say that any one of us that visits the U.S. without travel medical insurance has rocks for brains.

Prior to a recent trip through the U.S., when I went to buy that insurance, the application asked about a dozen questions regarding my current health status.

The lady looked at me and said that there are very few people over 70 who apply for it that can answer, "No" to all of those questions about health problems.

I told her that, as formerly a clergyperson, I'd seen more illness, some at a young age, than many. Which leads me to be very thankful for the good health that I enjoy.

Which also qualified me for their "Gold" coverage - at a lower than usual price.

While on the Prairies, when I bought insurance for the return trip, there was no such questionaire.

As, apart from check-ups, I almost never need to visit a doctor and have not needed prescription drugs in at least 20 (I think it's equally true to say 40) years, that has proved a big saving, as well.

Just one hospital visit that I can recall - about ten years ago to get face sewn up after I ran into a door on way to bathroom in early morning when just a trace of light available.

True story, I tell you - true story!

Which cost me nothing.

During the recent blackout in the U.S. Northeast and Ontario, Canada, a blind person suggested that we never leave a door half open - leave them either totally shut or totally open.

While on the Prairies I wrote a cheque to my seminary and to my alma mater - University of Saskatchewan.

Practical application of my thankfulness, you might say.

Have you given thought to which of your habits might have negative effects on your health status?

Or, if you are inclined to smoke or drink and drive, along with some other actions, the health status of others?

Sounds as though I'm being a bit "holier than thou" here, but I am well aware of some things that I do that are less than the best for either me or my effect on others.

For example - I drove about 1,600 miles in 45 hours to attend my brother's 40th wedding anniversary - figured that I should be there, as I married them. He's retiring from farming this year, as well - his son isn't interested.

And I'm sure that there are others that I don't recognize - I hope that I can be humble and self-critical enough to accept it when others point some of them out.

I've learned some things from some of you here - and I thank you for the information.

Good wishes to you all for good health, friends and enough to live on.

joyful guy/Ed

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths