Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Christmas marketing

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 03 at 0:15

Weather wasn't too bad for the (Detroit) Thanksgiving Day parade yesterday - but it was chilly.

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone in the Benighted States ...

... the stores will be putting on the big marketing campaigns leading up to Christmas.

Just suppose that you were to move Thanksgiving to the second week in October, as the "smart" Canadians do - who'd prefer to celebrate Thanksgiving when the bountiful harvest is just completed rather than in a snowstorm.

Then ... the stores could start their Christmas marketing right after Hallowe'en - as the Canadian stores (most of them subsidiaries of U.S.-based enterprises) do.

Think of the benefits, folks ... think of the benefits!

Good wishes to all as you wind down to the last few weeks of successive days getting shorter.

joyful guy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Christmas marketing

SSSHhhh. Someone might actually do that.

o

It was already done by FDR in 1939 (not quite to october, just a week earlier so that there would be a longer shopping season). In 1941 Congress changed it back.

o

I'm pleased to live in the United States -- and don't consider them "benighted."

o

"[...]the stores could start their Christmas marketing right after Hallowe'en - as the Canadian stores (most of them subsidiaries of U.S.-based enterprises) do. "

They're already doing that here. As soon as Halloween is past, the decorations are cleared out and the Christmas decor and merchandise move in. The only thing missing is the day-after "doorbuster" sale.

o

All I know is this----if you see something cute when it first appears on the shelf and don't buy it-----you may as well forget it. It will be gone in 2 days.

o

As soon as Halloween is passed my big patootie! Most stores around here had Christmas up before Halloween. Made me sick. And I told more than a few managers why I was leaving their store without buying. At least wait until after Halloween! Except craft stores. One needs time to make all the goodies.

Guess what I did the Saturday before Thanksgiving? Put up the Yule lights. In shorts and a T-shirt. Then I went shopping with the roof off the Jeep. On November 23rd.

And they say global warming isn't real.

o

Hif kitchengod'swife,

Interesting dates that you give regarding U.S. Thanksgiving:

1939 was the year when, having decided that Hitler and his buddies were very nasty people, with their eyes set on world domination, World War II started for many of us.

1941 was the year when, having been kicked in the rear end by one of Hitler's buddies, the U.S. decided that was the case.

joyful guy

o

Hi again, Meghane,

Careful, girl - there's a rumour going the rounds that ...

... if you eat too much, or tend to eat certain kinds of stuff ...

... that "patootie" will just get bigger!

I doubt that you'd like that very much.

Just a word to the (already) wise ....

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here