Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
money saving tips for kids?

Posted by mollyjanea (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 04 at 20:45

what ideas do you have for saving money raising kids? i take care of my 15 month old niece and we make our own playdough, etc. Looking for some new and different ideas for frugal fun. thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: money saving tips for kids?

Corn meal in a plastic dish basin with kitchen items (funnels, measuring cups/spoons, sifter etc...)

My Favorite - Finger paint with pudding!

Clean counters and table with shaving cream, playing in the cream, of course, while you "work" (make sure this won't damage your type of table/counters)

My babies are 14, 11 and 9 now - I really miss the toddler stage! Have fun with her!

o

Buy passes to the zoos and parks. They pay for themselves in a short time. The kids love going to the same places over and over.

Eat at home and then take the kids to McDonalds for ice cream and the playland only. (Cheaper and probably healthier too.)

Go to the library at least once a week or take the kids to reading hour.

Ask around and see if there are any free preschool activities in your area. For instance, we have free preschool activities at the zoo, library, and church.

Do online searches for crafts. Look up Christmas ornaments and coloring stuff. For a 15 month child, you're going to be doing most of the work.

I make cards for all of the holidays with my kids that are too young to do things by themself.
-For halloween, we sent the grandparents "ghost" cards made out of upside down white handprints.
-For Valentines Day cards, I let the kids scribble on paper. I then cut heart shapes out of the scribble paper and we glued that onto a contasting paper.
-For Thanksgiving, we make handprint turkeys and glued magnets on the back.
-For Christmas last year, we made ornaments out of aluminum cans. To do this, you cut off the bottom portion of the can (about 1/2 inch) with a pair of scissors. Glue a heavy paper circle to the back. Put some glue in the "bowl" in the can. Drop sequins, beads, or buttons in the glue and let dry. After drying, punch a hole in the rim with a nail and put a ribbon through it for hanging. Put a name and date on the ornament and keep it for a keepsake.

o

One of my favorites is to bake cookies. Just watching a little one open an egg by themselves is the funniest thing you'll ever see. Don't tell them how - just ask them to open the egg into a bowl...

o

MonicaTX,

Don't remember having seen that - but can imagine that it would be really a fun-filled experience!

Good wishes to you and yours.

joyful guy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here