Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 20:09

Anyone have one? Just curious......
Was looking at them in Lowes
Any comments would be appreciated!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: water heater blanket

I have one. They are cheap and easy to install. If you are planning on staying in your home for a number of years, I would get one. You'll save a little on your utility bills each month and it will add up over time.

o

They are NOT suggested for use with all water heaters, so check your owner's manual, or call the manufacturer.

-Grainlady

o

Thanks for the input!

o

If you use them with a gas heater, be sure that you don't block the airflow or let it anywhere near where flames could ignite it. Also be sure the ventilation isn't blocked.

Be sure to get one that has enough R-value to be of any use. Otherwise you could use two of them. Another good thing to do is insulate your water pipes.

o

In some areas, the utility company installs them for free. They used to, anyway!

o

Our city-managed utility installed one free, plus a timer to heat the water at 2 a.m., spreading the load, and they rebated most of my rental on the heater.

Later, a wider-area utility took over and they removed the timer. When I asked them how that helped spread and save power, the technicians had no answer, and when I called their service number, they said that they did not offer that service ... but when I asked why not - no answer.

When I raised substantial objection, the technicians left the blanket and I did some reinstalling of it.

There's no blanket on the one here at the farm - I should investigate whether I should get one, I think.

I've installed some insulation on the hot water pipes ... but I use each tap on a sequential basis at short intervals so seldom that the heat pretty well all dissipates before I use that hot water tap again.

I feel that it's important that we do what we can to reduce substantially the use of precious energy, plus pollutants and global warming.

ole joyful

o

Our city-managed utility installed one free, plus a timer to heat the water at 2 a.m., spreading the load, and they rebated most of my rental on the heater.

Later, a wider-area utility took over and they removed the timer. When I asked them how that helped spread and save power, the technicians had no answer, and when I called their service number, they said that they did not offer that service ... but when I asked why not - no answer.

When I raised substantial objection, the technicians left the blanket and I did some reinstalling of it.

There's no blanket on the one here at the farm - I should investigate whether I should get one, I think.

I've installed some insulation on the hot water pipes ... but I use each tap on a sequential basis at short intervals so seldom that the heat pretty well all dissipates before I use that hot water tap again.

I feel that it's important that we do what we can to reduce substantially the use of precious energy, plus pollutants and global warming.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here