Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How a (limited group) can save a bucket of money ...

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 9, 04 at 16:18

Just quit smoking.

"Just", he says.

'Tain't easy.

No, it's not.

But - it's wprth it.

Ask someone carrying an oxygen bottle with them as they walk in their hospital gown down the hospital corridor ...

... on their way outside ...

... to have a smoke.

It's one of the worst/most serious addictions.

But it's worth it to quit.

My family has weak lungs.

I started to smoke at about age 16.

After six months or so, liking neither the taste nor, being frugal (as we all were, back about 1940), the cost - I quit.

Now, enjoying good health at age 75, I'm really glad that I had common sense enough to do that.

I prefer being above the grass to the alternative - which is where I'd probably be, had I continued smoking.

I hope that each of you is able to enjoy similar good health through a number of years of retirement. With a whole bunch extra money to do it in style.

Hope you're around to enjoy grandkids, friends, etc. when you have that extra time available to enjoy them well. And maybe help with their education, getting started in business, downpayment on a home, etc.

joyful guy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How a (limited group) can save a bucket of money ...

I demand equal time.Don't you have a way for us nonsmokers to save a bucketful of money as well?

o

Hi again cupajoe,

I've said to many over some twenty years as a personal financial advisor,

"Learning how money works is an interesting hobby - that pays well".

Unfortunately, life and health insurance will cost you more, as well, if you're a smoker. Sorry to add to your bad news.

Here's an idea, though.

Write down the name, phone number and email address of everyone that you know, current, past, etc. Preferably on your computer, for ease of editing. Also, keep a backup, in case hard drive crashes.

Write down all the info you know aboutr each: training, type of work, interests, hobbies, other interests, etc.

Soon you'll form a habit of remembering such info when you hear it, then adding it to your database on return home.

You can ask some questions here and there - but not so numerous and strongly that people will wonder whether you work for the FBI (if you're a U.S.er).

When you need something in your life, some info, etc., go to your database to see whether someone that you know may have some relevant information to offer.

Most folks like to be consulted about issues that interest them.

If you know some funny little stories, tidbits of info that might be of general interest, etc. send out a message to the folks on your email list. Or to some of them, if you think some might be interested and some not.

If you offer some helpful hints at times, people will come to look forward to your messages - possibly develop it into a newsletter.

Soon some will contribute to the messaging system.

If they value your info, when you ask them for something, they'll give it with alacrity.

Next time you consider buying a new car ...

don't.

Nor buy a used car from a dealership, either.

Check your database for "mechanic".

Ask a couple of them for some basic suggestions to help you easily weed out poor quality cars offered privately. And whether they'd check out some candiddates for you that pass your prelimiary test.

If they take one quick look, listen to the engine and tell you to get out of there with that piece of crap - pay them $10.00.

If they check one out a little, pay them $20.00.

If they like one that you bring and give it a fairly thorough check, give them $50.00.

If you pay them $200. total to look over ten or so vehicles, and get one that saves one trip to the garage for repairs - you'll have saved more than the fee.

Seven years ago I bought a little Dodge Colt, 1.5 litre engine, standard transmission, 138,000 km. (about 87,000 mi.) on the odometer from a mechanic friend, for about $2,700.

Recently it turned over 300,000 km. (185,000 mi.). I've had to put a number of repairs on it, including replacing a cylinder head gasket recently that cost nearly half of my original cost.

But I have enough confidence in it that I'm considering taking off on a 6,000 mi. journey soon, without fearing that it may give me trouble.

That car owes me nothing.

In the meantime - I've been able to put some money aside so that I can buy a replacement, when required, for cash. Renting money from someone else reduces my lifestyle.

I will borrow money to purchase capital goods, assets - but not on consumer items.

Yes, a vehicle is a capital item - but it deteriorates much faster than, say, a table, which may sell after a number of years for about what one paid (granted, in reduced-value dollars). Or a home, whose value may well increase over a number of years. In Canada, that increased value accrues to the owner who has occupied it throughout the period with no income tax liability.

If you get a nice large ego-boost from driving around in a tin can that looks a lot like last year's model, and has drive train much like last year's - maybe you got a bargain when you bought a new car.

My ego doesn't need that kind of boost, thank you.

In travelling through a rural area the other day I saw a "Fresh Eggs for Sale" sign.

Bought a couple of dozen, have one at home and one at recently deceased step-uncle's farm that I'm watching over till it's sold, where I often eat.

They were really large - some so big that the carton labelled "Large" eggs sometimes won't close.

So, in passing the other day I bought four more dozen - that I'll offer to neighbours - either at the $1.50 that I paid (reglarly over $2.00 in stores) or at a price part way between.

Hope this helps with your problem.

I'm afraid that I can't be of much further help - for smokers do love making those dollars - go up in smoke.

Love ya, old pal cupajoe.

joyful guy

o

This system still works, folks - and still allows you to save a bundle for that retirement, that'll almost surely be longer, and healthier - giving you more opportunities to spend money.

What a shame that quite a number of folks either suffer serious and prolonged illness, or death, in the years when they were looking forward to retirement, just before it came to pass.

Or, just after it took place.

When they had all that money saved for a happy retirement ...

... and nothing to spend it on but an expensive funeral.

With some left over for spouse maintenance.

Good wishes for good health and a happy life.

ole joyful

o

A lifetime smoker who fully planned to be still smoking when that last breath was taken in, learned about a year ago that breathing was MORE important than smoking .....in a frightening epiphany when I could not catch my breath at all - I KNEW. Smoking was a thing of the past - and it was the easiest thing in the world for me to give up - right then and there.

No amount of lectures, snide remarks, rejections, or health facts had the slightest impact on getting that behavior changed. My mother's death from smoking also did not stop my behavior.

So - who can ever fully understand the insidious nature of nicotine addiction?

I am grateful to have finally said goodbye to that millstone around my neck.

Vicki

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here