SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

How (Canadians, at least) can borrow for dang near no cost

joyfulguy
17 years ago

Suppose I have a fully secured Line of Credit at the bank.

I won't borrow for current consumption, but I may borrow to buy a capital good - e.g., car, table, air conditioner, home, that's supposed to last me for an extended period.

Most of those things (with the exception of the home) deteriorate over time - give the home time, and it too will fade away to nothing ... but probably I have done the same before it does.

Suppose, however, I use the proceeds of the loan to buy an asset, e.g. stocks in a Canadian company, that has a good possibility of appreciating in value, given a few years, and I am willing to tolerate some fluctuations in value in the meantime, even to have it deteriorate as much as 20 - 25% without gettting bent out of shape? I've played these games for several years, and regularly pick the brains (at no cost except gas to attend a meeting - and time) of others in the same game.

When I asked recently the rate of interest that I'd have to pay if I borrowed using my Line of Credit, they said 6.25%.

Some Canadian bank stocks, pipelines, etc. are paying over 3% dividend - and the rate of tax that I must pay on each dollar of that dividend is much lower than if I invest to earn interest.

When I invest in an asset that I expect will make me money, the Canada Revenue Agency allows my to deduct the intereest that I pay, so I'm really paying about 5%, after-tax cost.

If I make about 2.5% after-tax return om the dividends that my stock earns, it is costing me about 2.5% out of pocket, right?

But, I can arrange my loan to pay interest only, month by month, and the dividends on my stock are paid quarterly.

If I borrowed, say $10,000. fifteen years ago, and paid only the interest over that period, if I sell the stock now, in many cases of quality companies, it'll be worth more than when I bought it. And, if it's paying fairly high rate of dividend, usually its value drops less than the market as a whole, when there's a "correction".

When I borrowed that money, 15 years ago, $10,000. would have bought a decent car ... not now.

The value of each of those borrowed dollars was eroded a bit, each year, due to inflation.

The official rate is about 2.5%, but many say that the means of calculation has been fudged, that it's really higher.

I'll bet if you've kept track of the prices that you pay for your basket of goods, over the past few years, you'll agree.

So - am I not borrowing at darn near no cost?

And - if you put your $10,000. into the bank 15 years ago and the bank paid you rent on your money (interest) in the meantime, what'll they give you now, if you want to withdraw it?

That's right - exactly $10,000.

That'll buy a heck of a lot less now than it would have, fifteen years ago, when you lent it to them.

So - you got burned by inflation.

And I gained.

Anyone want to raise some objections to the logic?

Here's to making your money work harder for you than for the other guys who borrow it from you.

ole joyful

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor