Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Call Wave

Posted by yesican (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 25, 06 at 12:38

Call Wave notifies you if you are on line and receive another call. It's about $8.00 per month. Does anyone know of another program that is cheaper or free and will do the same thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Call Wave

I have/use Pagoo. It is 4.95 when paid by the year...which is what I did...not wanting the monthly bill, and not wanting to pay on line, etc.

I had it, and then when I reformatted computer (cleaned out and reinstalled everything), I downloaded a different version than what I had originally. It was confusing, and did not work as good as the older version for me...think there may have been an option to take the call (and get kicked off the computer) if you wanted, blah, blah, blah. I may not have had the necessary programs installed to make it work right...just don't know.

The 'good' version is Pagoo64. I had to contact them, and they then sent me a link to it.

You will also have to contact your phone company and place an order to do a forward on busy (or something like that)to Pagoo's 800 #. The phone comp service order was $17, back then. The monthly charge with the phone co is 2.25 for what they list as Call Fwd-Busy fixed-perm activated.

It all beats missing calls, and having to hear friends and family complain of always getting a busy, or no one answering (just depends if you have call waiting or not).

Feel free to email me if you have any questions that don't get answered here.

I'm thinking Pagoo is a little cheaper than call wave, and I like the payment option better...just call me old fashioned.

Sue

o

Well, Pagoo is giving me fits...I no longer would recommend it to anyone.

I've looked into Call Wave, at it appreas to be 7.95 a month.

There is a site that says it is 'on sale' but does not give the price.

grrrrrr...wish I had high speed and didn't have folks getting a busy, or ring, ring, ring, when they call me when I'm surfing.

o

Well, Pagoo is giving me fits...I no longer would recommend it to anyone.

I've looked into Call Wave, at it appears to be 7.95 a month...pretty steep I think.

There is a site that says it is 'on sale' but does not give the price.

grrrrrr...wish I had high speed and didn't have folks getting a busy, or ring, ring, ring, when they call me when I'm surfing.

o

chemocurl, do you have a cell phone with some minutes on it? When I had dialup I used to forward my home phone to my cell phone while I used the computer. That way if anyone had to reach me, they could. Since the cell phone has Caller ID, I could gauge whether it was someone I wanted to interrupt myself for. :-)

o

hmmmm, Now that is a thought. Like you said, I could just use it to screen. It's a prepaid, so I doubt if I'd 'take' many calls, and could then call them back once I log off. I have to buy $10 every 4 month, and don't use up those minutes anyway.

I don't have call forwarding, but doing it as you suggest would sure beat a big monthly charge, having to pay on the computer with a credit card...(yes I'm old fashioned that way) and then having problems.

Guess I'll have to call Verizon, and see about getting cfw.

Thanks!

Sue

o

Hmmmmm,

I have call waiting on my home phone. I think that 'could' be a problem with the above idea.

as it is now with Pagoo, I have my CWT feature on the computer turned off. That engages the call forwarding on busy feature (from phone company Verizon)to Pagoo's 800 number.

I know my neighbor has CWT also on dial up.

If it is 'on' I will get a ring if she is on line.

If she has it 'off' I will get a busy...or so I think.

Maybe I'd best scoop over to Computer Help, b4 incurring a charge for a service order with Verizon, for something that may not work.

Or can anyone set me straight on this here?

Jesican, I hope you don't feel like I have hijacked your post...just also wanting to find a better and cheaper way that works great.

Sue

o
RE: Catch a Call device

Well, since I'm not getting anything else done today but playing on the computer, I asked about the call waiting/forwarding thing over at Computers.

Somehow searching around there I read about Catch a Call, so I started a thread there at Computers on that also.

Here is what Epinions.com says about it.

I see they are pretty cheap new on Ebay...14.95 with free shipping.

Here is a link that might be useful: opinions on Catch a Call

o

The Catch a Call sounds like something I could deal with. Thanks so much for the information.

o

I bought one on Ebay. It has not arrived yet. There are different models, I think, but this one said it was compatible with caller ID. I recently (last week) changed my phone service from Verizon Local, and AT+T Long Distance, to a Verizon 'package' that has both, with unlimited Long Distance, (a must for me since everyone I know is LD), along with Call Waiting, and Caller ID Normally Caller ID is $8 or $9 if not included in a package. I knew there was a reason why I did not have it b4...that certainly is not cheap!

Here is what the Ebay auction says about the one I won (No one else bid on it at all)

UP FOR AUCTION , NEW CATCH A CALL PLUG AND PLAY

Can't Afford That Second Phone Line! Now you don't need to!
Never Miss Another Call While Online!
One line for Phone Internet & Fax.
Identifies the Caller On Screen.
Caller History at your Fingertips. .
All functions can be adjusted via your telephone keypad.
Adjustable sensitivity to match any phone line.
Adjustable Ring Tones
WORKS WITH ALL COMPUTERS
Does not affect computer speed or performance

I'll try to remember to report on it once I receive it and am up and running, or feel free to email me if anyone has questions.

Sue

o

Sue, will be waiting to hear how you like it.

o

Curious...

You spent $14.95 for a device to use with dial-up...
I spent $14.99 to get DSL and ditch dial-up!

o

Sue, will be waiting to hear how you like it.
I'm sorry to have not gotten back to you all.

I received it, and love it...phone rings, I answer it, computer disconnects, I visit via phone, and log back on to exactly where I was b4. It gives you a bit of time too to say a few words b4 disc. I suppose if I get a junk call, I will just quickly say "not interested" and hang up b4 getting disconnected.

Identifies the Caller On Screen.
Caller History at your Fingertips.

I found out I have to have Call Waiting Caller ID...It's different than regular Caller ID, and is not available from my (one and only)Phone company.

Curious...
You spent $14.95 for a device to use with dial-up...
I spent $14.99 to get DSL and ditch dial-up!

Curious,

DSL is not available in this rural area. Neither is cable.

My only other option is $500 installation and a 50' pole directly beside the house (or it will cost a 'lot' more), and I can have broadband wireless for $30 a month, with no contract....

Another way is satellite, with a minimum $300 installation charge, and then a contract. I have heard both good and bad about satellite service, and really don't want to take a chance on having to pay for possibly poor service.

The local broadband wireless company came to install be a while back, thinking I would be a regular installation ($50) since they had put up a new tower in the area. That was when they 'discovered' that there were trees in the way, and that the pole and big installation charges were necessary to get me installed.

Now I'm waiting for possibly another tower to be put up, or for my rural electric to get service here via the electric lines. It is presently in the experimental stage in another area here in Indiana.

So, I wait...but at least folks aren't missing getting a hold of me.

o

Sue, thanks for the report. I think I'll get one.

I wish I could get DSL for 14.99. My dial-up is $99 by paying yearly. DSL would cost over $400.

o

Yeah - we switched to Verizon DSL a few months ago.

Dial-up was $21.95 and lousy connection speed.
DSL is $14.99 and sooooo much faster.

I realize that we got a great deal compared to the dial-up... but I though we were among the last to get DSL (out here in the boonies!) and that every got that price.

Hope you all will get DSL/cable/whatever soon!

o

My mother uses AOL and was unable to receive phone calls while she was using her computer, unless she used their "Call Alert" thing (3.95 a month I think). It STUNK, it worked for the first few days, then never again...i finally called AOL and cancelled it for her a couple of weeks ago and she went back to using the "catch a call" that I had given her a couple of years ago. She is quite pleased with Catch a Call now that she has that "see who is calling you while you are on the computer" gimmicky stuff out of her system.

I recommend Catch A Call.

jiggreen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here