SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy813_gw

How did you save money this week?

kathy813
17 years ago

Being a full fledged member of living frugally I like to know what other people do to save. My most saving thing this week is stretching my food buget by eating leftovers. Many people will not eat leftovers. What do you do? Kathy

Comments (81)

• calirose
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wonderful Ilene. And good tips about computer downloading and emails.

I want to add that any dollar spent on something one doesn't need, is a wasted dollar. The 10 off purchase I made was a needed blouse. The camera is needed for my art which I sell. The printer is just as you described single color cartridges.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Great job Calirose! I totally agree about the wasted dollar. Don't know how many times I've bought something because it was on sale, or cheap at a garage sale and then thought, WHAT was I thinking? Plus, after awhile, all the 'stuff' makes it harder to keep your house clean and makes you feel distracted.

Your purchase of a camera also reminded me of another savings. Digital cameras, the ones that you can upload the pictures to your computer, are fantastic! Kodak should've never allowed that one out of the bag. Now you can take as many pics as you want, and if they don't turn out, it doesn't cost anything to throw 'em away. If you want to share a hard copy with someone, you can print them off yourself or e-mail them someplace where they will print them. (I've found that to be best if I want the picture to last awhile because if pictures I've printed get wet, the ink tends to run a little. Plus I think it's actually cheaper than using up your ink.) There's no film to buy and no developing charge to pay and no waiting! Digital cameras have done more to increase the sharing of pictures than anything I know, and we can do it in so many more ways! When digital cameras first came out, I bought a Sony that has a rechargeably battery pack and stores the pics on floppy discs. It's a dinosaur now, and I have a newer one that stores more pictures on a tiny card and gets 'way better resolution. But I find myself using the old one more. It's just so easy to use and upload, and the display screen is bigger, easier for me to see what the picture is going to look like. Funny thing too is that it was more expensive than my new one, but then I bought it when digital cameras were state-of-the-art. And I guess that's another thing -- if you can hold off buying the new technology, it will become cheaper. We had one of the first VCR's -- a Motorola -- 20 years or so ago. It cost $1,000. Ouch! Now they're practically giving them away.

• Related Discussions

I saved money this week

Q

Comments (5)
    celticmoon...Thanks, we'll check eBay for Allen Edmonds. So many of the men's and women's shoe brands are now made overseas, and in doing so, many of them are now of poor quality. My husband loves those new AE shoes. He's been looking for a long time for this particular pair, and even at the outlet mall they were lots more than he paid. Men's shoes are expensive! I guess I average him out...I have little feet, and I can usually get new shoes at a fraction of their original price. myfask...do check Parisian. I understand that the ones that will reopen as Belks don't have quite the bargains of the ones that have been outright sold. Be quick, though. The clerk at the Charleston store said they were closing for good at the end of January. And yes, Daniel Island is gorgeous. It's a beautifully planned community with mixed use housing for everyone from section 8 to millionaires. My son and his wife are lucky enough to live there, and my DIL has an office on the island.
    ...See More

ok so......how did you save money this week ?

Q

Comments (46)
    This week we had my son's 5th bday party. Instead of having the movie theater "package", I treated the guests to the movie and out to lunch at Wendy's (my son's fave restaurant, lol). The package at the theater would have been $300 plus I would have had to pay for any adults past the first 2 (dh & I). I would have had to supply the cake and they would supply popcorn, soda & candy and a souvenier (sp?) for my son and we would have had to tip the party hostess and pay 8.75% tax. Instead I spent a total of $225 and that included: the movie tix for 10 kids & 9 adults (plus 1 toddler), Cheez-its snack packs for during the movie (smuggled in, another 5 y.o. fave), lunch for all, cake (we called ahead and asked permission), party supplies (i.e. tablecloth, forks, candles, cake plates, etc), and favors for the kids. Everyone had so much fun and the whole party lasted 3 hours. The theater package would have been the 1.5 hr movie and 1/2 hour after for cake & play. I am in NY and childrens parties are big business. I have 2 sons and am proud that I have been able to come up with creative ways to celebrate, that are enjoyable and at a savings. I hope I never have to do a "package" party. My other great savings was I received a free vintage sink on freecycle.org. I am a member and frequently offer out and also frequently receive items. We are renovating in the summer and I have been shopping out fixtures. I had my heart set on an old white sink with attached drainboard, but could not find one anywhere feasible (except 200 miles away on ebay). This was free and was a 15 minute ride to pick up. It is in excellent condition and just needed a new home. I had found these new for sale online in England but the cost with shipping was beyond my budget. It would have been close to $800! I can't imagine paying that much for a sink, but I know many people do. I am just too frugal/cheap. Even if it fit my budget, I could not do it. I would rather use the money somewhere else or save it. That's my story for savings this week! I hope to have more to cheer about next week ;)
    ...See More

Saving Time so You Can Save Money

Q

Comments (11)
    I'm not sure I'll be much help on this subject since I'm just now decluttering and reorganizing my home. Here's a few little things I'm doing: Since I don't have a regular pantry (I'm going to make one somewhere, someday--lol) I keep all breakfast items in one drawer, like instant oatmeal, grits, hot chocolate, etc. So, I know in a glance what I need and don't buy extras. I just tear off the top of the pkg. and set the whole thing in the drawer. I also keep my ironing supplies on one drawer---irons, spray starch, etc. I actually had to buy a second iron because I couldn't find the first one---before I organized! I took all on my junky paper and cut it into note size, put it in my desk drawer. If I have pretty junky mail, or envelopes, I cut them up to use as gift tags or small note cards. I hate frying bacon, so I bake it now on a rack. It's healthier and I don't have to spend so much time at the stove. I actually baked a pkg. this morning, used it all at once---now, we have bacon for tomorrow. I don't have very many closets, so I'm using decorative tins and hatboxes (I went thru a hatbox-making phase a few years back) for storage of sewing and craft supplies, and anything else that I can't find a place for!!! LOL These things hold a lot, so I may not have to buy any shelves. In my foyer area, I have a narrow table with a mirrow above it. I just cleaned out that drawer in the table----I have a place for car keys (his & hers), gloves, hairbrush, and glasses. Since I wash my hands a zillion times a day, I keep either an old dish detergent bottle or shampoo bottle with soap, water (*and now hand lotion or baby oil mixed in) under the sink to wash hands with. I just saw a Dr. on Tv say that if you wash your hands too much and they're dried out, germs can enter your body thru the cracked dry skin EASIER!! They were talking about the flu viruses. He actually said that rubbing your hands back and forth, creating friction, would kill germs on your hands!! Rub your hands, rub your hands!!!!!!
    ...See More

How can I save my money tree?

Q

Comments (4)
    You are a lot more tolerant than I :-) Unless it had a strong emotional attachment, I would not bother with the time and effort involved in getting this plant into a healthy condition. Growth is very slow in winter and root rot is hard to come back from. And I do believe the appearance is due primarily to root rot, not the repotting. Just don't have room for ugly, half dead plants in my life :-) FWIW, I grow an epiphyllum that is not an attractive plant. In fact, my sister seldom fails to comment on its appearance every time she visits. It produces long and lanky growth and forms odd looking protrusions. But that is just the nature of the plant itself and the flowers, when produced, make up for it. OTOH, the pachira should be very full and lush looking.
    ...See More
  • ladytexan
    15 years ago

Good ideas about buying too much at garage sales. I find myself doing that as well.

I tend to buy, thinking 'so and so' will like that', etc., but lately unless it is something really special, I pass it by. I have also warned my husband to help me remember to buy only things we can use.

Now I do keep an extra of all the small appliances. I absolutely detest having to go buy something new, I just saw at a garage sale for a couple of dollars.

My problem is buying things for my 'I'm gonna' stash. The 5 big bags of sweaters I bought at Goodwill for $3 a bag. I did get several sweaters for myself and about a half dozen, still with tags, for my husband, but 'I'm gonna' make some quilts, covers, whatever you call them. You cut them up and sew them together in a big patchwork.

Then there's the garbage bag full of 100% wool jackets, skirts and pants 'I'm gonna' felt!

I so admire anyone who knows about computers. I've had one about 10 years now, and I'm still terrified of doing anything with them. Being frightened does keep me from clicking on those 'offers', etc, though.

• cynic
    15 years ago

OJ, I would definitely call about that plow issue. Could be a contract worker but in bad weather there's no excuse for driving by a stranded motorist. There's rationale for not pulling you out, what with the sue-happy society in which we live, I could understand some reluctance there, however they have radios and or cell phones and could have at least stopped to see if you want them to call for help. I think that was deplorable.

This is one of the reasons I finally justified a cell phone. Prepaid phones cost as little as $3-$5/month to have and you get some time for that. As long as you're not long-winded on the phone, it's far more valuable than a car club to me. And especially if I'm traveling, I feel far more comfortable now to have it with me. And with the time you've paid for to have it for insurance, you can reap some benefit. For instance, when I'm out and I think maybe I'll stop by someone's house, I can call them first before driving over there. If they're gone or going to be leaving, knowing ahead will save the cost of gas driving over there. Back when gas was over $4/gal, it paid for itself in savings! Now that pay phones are becoming non-existant, if you need to contact anyone, it's the only way. Plus there's been times I knew someone wanted something and while I was in a store if I saw it on sale I call and see if they still want it - I could pick it up for them. One time it was a yes, another a no, but this way I didn't waste the time getting it when they had already bought it and in the other case I saved her about $10. Then I just kept it in my vehicle until I saw her again so no special trip was needed. Another time, I broke down twice while heading on a 150 mile trip. I didn't need the phone for the repairs, but I was able to call the motel and tell them what happened so I wouldn't lose my reservation for that night. I was delayed by about 5 hours and would have lost my room during a busy time had I not called. And since there were no rooms available I'm sure I wouldn't have had a place to stay that time unless I wanted to travel 40-50 miles.

The point is, cell phones have a place. And these days with cell phones so cheap, it's really foolish to not have them for a lot of people. Granted, there's a lot of people who SHOULDN'T have them, but a lot of people who should.

I had a frugal holiday season. Didn't get trampled. Relaxed and enjoyed myself. Hope all of you enjoyed your season too.

I might stop at a garage sale occasionally if it's on the route I'm traveling. And there is a city-wide sale in a suburb near me that I'll go to some of them during their summer celebration. That way it's not a lot of gas and you can hit a lot of them. And most of those people are truly looking to get rid of the stuff so they have good prices. I do not find garage saling to be worthwhile otherwise. So many people have one just to make money and prices are too high and you have to drive a lot to get to them. The one or two "deals" you get then are offset by the expenses. Could just as well buy it new if you truly needed it.

Yes that was some good advice on the computers. As far as emails, the best policy is to assume it's NOT TRUE until it's proven to be true. It's easy to check but people are lazy. They want to believe it so they fire it off to everyone they know and often send viruses and other malware to their friends. Some friend, huh?

I do have to laugh with you there OJ, I know there's been a lot of times I took a shortcut and wound up taking the long way around! Then of course took a lot more time too! Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Y'know OJ, you just rattled my pea-brain a bit... I haven't put my shovel in my vehicle yet this year! We didn't get any serious snow until just recently and I didn't even think of it. I usually have a fall-time winterization around the house where I put winter clothes, shovel, battery charger, etc into the vehicle, swap the mower and blower from the shed to the garage, fill the windshield washer with de-icer, put out extra mats for traction on the sidewalk, bring in freezables, etc. I had a bad autumn and kind of did minimal. Didn't get the a/c taken out until after I was using the furnace! But a basic staple in Minnesota is a wintertime shovel and of course jumper cables! I can't believe I forgot that. I guess that's what happens when you get old. So beware Joyful... this could happen to you someday!!!

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Heck - eating leftovers is standard practice, around here.

What troubles one's frugal heart is the stuff that develops fur in the fridge, before one gets it out to use it.

My neighbour - the one who gave me the red and green "Merry Christmas" baseball cap (whose saga I related yesterday over on the KT) had me over to have Christmas Eve supper with their family, including kids and grandkids - sent home a plastic container of stew to keep me fed for a while in future (part of which I've used).

A friend, who had son and me for Christmas dinner last year, felt poorly so said not this year (son has developed lady-friend, as well) ... but was feeling better on Christmas-eve-day and invited me for Christmas dinner with him, newly-retreaded daughter and her companion.

As instructed, I took ice cream ... we ate the last of one tub, I brought an unopened one home and left another.

He'd told me to bring an (empty) plate, as well - which I forgot - but he sent an aluminum pie plate of turkey and fixings home with me: untouched, as yet.

So - I've done well, food-wise, this week!

I'm to have Christmas with son and his companion on Monday (her day off).

Have a happy weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

• calirose
    15 years ago

lexi7, good idea reviving this post. Maybe we should have a new thread once a week or month. Care to start it?

I mentioned my digital camera - still haven't received the rebate but I am watching closely and keep checking on it. I am also waiting for a rebate from Sears for the delivery charge on my dryer. Last look, it was waiting for 30day return privilege period, which is now up. BTW, I got a tremendous on the dryer. Price at Lowes was 378 and 55 deliver charge; Price at Sears 378 and 65 delivery charge, however Sears would rebate the charge, Lowe's wouldn't. Both stores are less than 10 miles from my house. However on the day I happened to shop, Sears was also having a 10% off sale. When ringing up, another credit was applied. Final price pre-tax was about 273 + delivery. Now just to get those "rebates"!!!!

Another point on computers which was mentioned, learn from a tech about computers before attempting to do any repair on them. They need to be grounded, a static discharge will damage them. So don't feel bad about being afraid, just educate yourself.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

stayed home........LOL

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

My message was to be the same as "stargazer"'s, immediately above.

Well ... much the same ... I went yesterday to the Old Farts' Coffee Club at church, then bought a large bag of cat food ... some milk ... and gas ... more milk (good price on choc.) ... and paid 10 cents per sheet for 17 sheets above the 10 that I get free at the country library - 20 cents per sheet from sheet one at the city library, which I often attend (but they limit me to 1.5 hours/day). Library high-speed internet *much* faster than accessed from home!

Have a lovely weekend, everyone.

When you're retired ...every day is weekend!

ole joyful

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

I always check the sale table in Lowe's garden section. They are the only store/nursery I know of that puts their less than fresh and beautiful blooming plants on sale. This week I bought a $10 pot of ground orchids for $5.00.

Several weeks ago I bought three trays of snapdragons at 10 cents a plant -- just because they had gotten in new stock of blooming snapdragons and these were not blooming. That's of no matter to me as in Texas we plant them in the fall to bloom the next spring and summer. I think a tray hold 18 plants

It was kind of a fluke but I got 5 nice big fresh apples for free :-) I noticed apples being put out at the grocery store and asked if I could have the empty boxes for my daughter who is moving. The employee had been tossing bad apples back into one of the boxes and I said "I'll even take your rotten apples and put them in my compost pile."

Well, when I got home I found that the spots on the apples were miniscule and we ate them!

• jrdwyer
    15 years ago

It is challenging to come up with more ideas to save and conserve. Here are a few ideas.

We've been watering down the liquid hand soap at the kitchen sink 50-50 for some time now. I've also been doing it with the shampoo. It works just as well and wastes less/lasts longer, sort of like the foam soap idea. We have also made it a point to use up the huge number of mini motel shampoo bottles I collected when I worked out of town. It is truly amazing how long I can go with just a little shampoo, the short hair does helps. Ditto for the toothpaste squeezed to the last drop!

We've been using bath towels typically twice before washing them. The sniff test is to tell if they are suitable for reuse.

If it's yellow, let it mellow. We have the old 3.2 g/f style and have greatly reduced water use with this. We do make sure to flush before bed so it's not such a olfactory jolt in the morning. The wife hates this form of conservation and I told her that when there is extra money I will replace them with the new 1.1 g/f power-assisted style. I hate to replace perfectly usable stuff, but the water bills keep going UP.

• golddust
    15 years ago

SonIL has been out of work for almost a year (California's economy sucks where we live). He literally got the only job in town but needed "business casual" clothes that he doesn't have.

For my DD's B-Day yesterday, we went shopping together - for her DH. We will trade B-Days for them this year. I'll get her something in July. Anyway we hit the malls. Bought 3 pair of fashionable slacks at The Gap for $12.99 each. Marked down from $50.00. Banana Republic netted two button down shirts @$9.99 and a wool dress sweater for $16.00. We splurged at Nordstroms on a $32. button down shirt that originally cost $96.

All the clothes are mix and match and he was thrilled. It was seriously cheaper than Walmart!

• miscindy
    15 years ago

golddust-Awesome deals! I'm sure you got him some great clothes! DH and I got a couple of new shirts ourselves at JCPenny a few weeks ago on "clearance"-that's our favorite "brand!" :)

• miscindy
    15 years ago

Got a little bonus check unexpectedly this week! Was able to use it to pay extra on credit cards and take some to buy some new shirts for work. I need to dress nicely and my wardrobe is quite small. I found 4 great tops, a sweater and a jacket on the clearance rack for $10 each (regular prices were $30-$50 each. I was really excited! :) My MIL went with me and she found 3 nice tops as well.

I never, ever pay full price for clothes or shoes!

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

I thought that I'd posted about this week, but don't see it.

Daughter'd bought my air ticket Detroit-Phoenix, after some talk of my driving down - not willing to admit that "No" from both daughter and son means ... "No". She bought shuttle bus from London to Detroit, as well ... so it was $15.00 for the checked bag, out of pocket.

Then when I put stuff into the tray, including shoes, watching others ... I rang the bell, kicked off red light, etc. More metal ... so took off belt, dumped in keys, bags of Canadian and U.S. change, and ...

... there was old uncle's farmer's pocket knife, that I often carry... and had forgotten about. The inspector was nice about it - I could take it back to the car (which was in London). Too bad that the checked bag had gone through.

Still rang the bells and whistles ... they took me to one side, slight frisking revealed the back brace that a friend loaned me after the heavy fall on the ice at his place on Christmas night. So they checked the soles of my socks, rubbed a chemical-laden swab of cotton three times over the palms of each hand ...

... and liked my smile, I guess - anyway, they let me go.

I'd spoken of those things in my earlier message, but had neglected to mention some other realities relating to the topic.

My car's power steering motor has been non-operational for some time and the garage had found a used one somewhere ... some time ago. Having strong arms, I hadn't taken the car in to have it installed ... I fear that now they'll charge me not only storage on the pump ... but interest on the money laid out months ago (not really) ... and a few weeks ago I'd heard a creaking in the front end when I turned, so took it to the garage ... front coil spring broken, sharp end about 1/4" from the tire, so lucky that it hadn't sliced a long slit all around it. Could drive it O.K., so have done so.

Then I heard a creaking around the back, and he says that some work is needed on the suspension there.

Plus - exhaust is getting noisy ... and he could stick his hand into the muffler ... so that system needs replacing.

They're to do all of this while I'm down here, so I'll have to mortgage the (figment of the imagination) farm on my return, in order to get the car back.

The prospect of walking till spring dosn't sound too appealing, somehow.

Daughter took me to an old copper-mining town, Jerome and to Flagstaff on Sat., stayed overnight, visited the Grand Canyon Sunday and she's back with her nose to the grindstone, today: I sat near her and read a book, much of today. After dinner with a friend, who loaned me her laptop, we hooked it up with cable from her office and now she's busy there and I in the guest room.

She coordinates the work of several folks holding webinars with folks recently laid off from work, helping build their spirits, consider extra training, preparing resumes, for interviews, etc. She's putting in long hours: big increase in demand for their work.

She bought a lovely 2-br. plus den (her office) condo in the northern area of Phoenix last spring. I'm sure that she's going to continue to enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to the week. Too bad that she put a date on the return portion of the air ticket.

I hope that you all have a great week (marked by frugality, of course).

ole joyful

• sheesh
    15 years ago

I haven't read this whole thread in a while, but here goes:

In a bucket, collect the water that usually runs down the drain while you're waiting for the water to get hot in the shower. Use that water to flush your toilet. (PS - I have a 1.6/f toilet so I don't do this, but my friend does in her old-style toilet.)

We have had absolutely NO problem with our kohler 1.6 gal toilets since we installed them in 1999. I don't know what a power toilet costs, but I'd bet it's a lot more than an ordinary one.

We use our bath towels repeatedly. It's only water on the towel, right?

I cook many things in the pressure cooker because it uses so little gas and the food tastes great. Yesterday I cooked two pounds of soaked pinto beans with only six minutes-worth of gas in the PC. Last night we had tostadas and burritos for dinner, today we'll have ham and bean soup and more tostadas. Beans and eggs, beans in salads, etc., for several days. Yum!

I can't tell which costs less to use - the pressure cooker because it takes so little time, or the slow cooker (which I also love) because it takes so little energy, but for such a long time. Does anybody know?

OJ, my hub is from SE of Tucson, stuck in Wisconson for the last million years (or so it seems to him) and hating every ice cold second of it. Boy, I wish we could get back to his area this year. I'm glad you're there, keeping warm.

• calina
    15 years ago

I've been car sharing to work which saves us both money. Also trying to walk a lot more of late... only use the car when I absolutely need to. Making sure I don't eat out much and looking at special offers when grocery shopping.

It's a big improvement for me than before!

• calirose
    15 years ago

I received my rebate ($100) from Epson on my printer.

Something I always do is stock up when beef goes on sale. Here that means ribeye at 4.77/lb and pot roasts at 1.79. Still watching for brisket to go down - I want to try that as ground beef. When we lived elsewhere, we had a meat market that I passed each day on way home from work. Easy to pickup those specials.

Served soup twice this week, great with this cold weather!

• jrdwyer
    15 years ago

Hey ole joyful. I hear you about flying today. My last experience was when I was by myself and had to lug 4 bags from rental car to shuttle bus to check-in, go through security (no shoes) and be swabbed because my extremely expensive GPS equipment looks suspicious (self insured and cannot/willnot be checked), lug the GPS and laptop to gate, have person at gate send me back to security because they didn't check something on form, and then fly in a cramped small jet not designed for anyone over 6' tall and 200 lbs. Driving is so much more pleasant!

Saved $3-$6 buying 6 boxes of cereal at a closeout store versus regular supermarket. Our local version is called Big Lots. They have a lot of junk, but also some good stuff at lower prices than anyone else. Just make sure to check the dates with the food.

Found out I gave $2 more than I should have to Wal-Mart for chainsaw bar oil. Low everyday prices, yea right. The same gallon at a local farm-supply store was $6, instead of $8. Basic oil has gotten pretty expensive.

• calirose
    15 years ago

Forgot to mention, I restrung window blinds that had a broken cord.

Also, I bake biscuits and cook sausage each week for DH's breakfast (his choice) instead of him buying fast food. he reheats in m/w. I usually have almond muffin (no wheat flour - just ground almonds) or oatmeal. Almonds in cooking section were 6.49lb; but on sale in produce for 2.99 lb.

jr- we no longer have a Big Lots, but it sure did have some good buys.

• calina
    15 years ago

A friend told me to start using oats to bulk things up as it doesn't change the flavour. Used it for a shepherds pie last night and it worked a treat! Only had to use half the mince :)

• lemonhead101
    15 years ago

For anyone who needs to update or improve their wardrobe: don't forget to go to thrift shops. I usually buy all my posh work shirts there for about $3 each (plus the cost of dry cleaning) and I also found a sequined gown there, perfect for a black tie event, for $4.50.

Just an idea. To get the best deals, it's a good idea to go frequently as the turnover of stock is fast and you need to buy it when you see it as it probably won't be there next time.

I love thrift - most of my gifts (which look brand new) come from either sales at normal shops or what I have found in thrift shops. No one can tell the difference as I take a lot of trouble to make sure the item looks like brand new off the shelf.

Thrift shops are also wonderful places to buy kids' clothing (esp younger kids who aren't that picky about their clothes in most cases) and for children's books. The shop I go to has hard backs for a dollar and paperbacks for 50 cents. Can't beat that.

Just an idea.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

I used a pressure cooker for years and the instructions said never use the PC for beans, you can have an explosion. I love pot roast ans meat loaf cooked in the PC.

• groomingal
    15 years ago

Switched cell phone carriers and saved $80 on monthly bill. Switched our cable/internet plan and saved $50 on monthly bill. Saved around $30 with grocery coupons this week.

If Spring could hurry and get here I can quit using gas heat and save $260 a month- gosh it hurt just to type that.

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

We don't buy any sweets, snacks, or meat. We buy walnuts and almonds at Costco. DH does the cooking - makes nearly everything from scratch. We do buy store brand spaghetti sauce and salad dressing. (DH likes variety in his salad dressings.) We eat "Old fashioned" oatmeal for breakfast, topped with walnuts and a banana. We make a big pot of oatmeal so we just heat it up weekday mornings.

We rarely go shopping. If I need a suit for work, I usually buy it on eBay; much cheaper if you buy only when there is NOT a bidding frenzy.

We've been married 16 1/2 years and still take showers together - saves water. Hot water heater is permanently on the "vacation" setting. I wash all the clothes in cold water.

Night temp is 65 degrees F, day is 68 if we are home and 65 if we are not. Have a programmable thermostat. Also have a down comforter on the bed, flannel sheets, flannel pjs, and rag wool socks. (It gets COLD here.)

We pay only $15/month for internet access and don't have cable TV. We watch too much TV as it is - cable would just make it worse.

We do our own electric and plaster repair, our own painting and gardening, etc. even though we both work full time. We are lucky to have a dry cleaners that charges just $2 per item, but send only the wools to the dry cleaners. I wash and iron everything else. Ironing is great for keeping warm on cold days!

• sheesh
    15 years ago

Stargazer, I cook all kinds of beans in my PC once or twice a week - for, like 40 years now! Takes six minutes or so under pressure. The instruction booklet on my current PC gives the timetable. You can google recipes if you're interested. You can't beat a PC for lots of foods. I wonder why yours would explode?

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I've been shopping the end of season clearance sales. In many cases, I have found brand new clothes for next school year cheaper than I could get them used at the thrift store.

I found a thrift bread store where I can buy bread for around half price. Some of the nicer whole grain breads are only $1.70. They have a card where I can get 'credit' for the dollar amounts I buy and then I can get free items from a select group. I got a free coffee cake and a box of donuts. I don't usually buy that kind of stuff, but the kids and dh enjoyed it.

I ended up in Wal-Mart yesterday. I found it interesting that some of the name brand foods were the same price as or cheaper than the Great Value brand. I like to compare prices anyway, but someone who normally doesn't might pay the higher price.

• socks
    15 years ago

I parked almost 2 blocks from my doctor's office and walked because it costs $5 to park in the parking structure.

I remodeled a curtain instead of buying a new one.

I put sheets and towels on the line to save dryer gas.

• lexi7
    15 years ago

I checked my sales receipt, found 13 items over priced and made the store refund my money. The number of scanning errors once surprised me, but now I expect it.
    Lexi

• budster
    15 years ago

Made sauerkraut soup from an old cookbook from MIL - used the juice and kraut (homemade of course)from last night's ribs and kraut supper instead of making new stock. Mended some old tea towels which maybe thin but still serviceable. Added water to the bottle of liquid detergent to get a couple more lighter loads out of the jug. Refused to use the dishwasher more than once every couple days. Not anything ground shaking but it saved me a few coins and that is all that matters.

• jannie
    15 years ago

DH and I are still eating the potatoes he grew in the backyard garden last year. He dug them up and stored them in our un-heated basement in a burlap bag. They are still good in February. I peel and soak three or four,then cook them in our pressure cooker, then mash them. Delicious with lots of butter!

• vinsmoney
    15 years ago

I started shopping on line. It saves me money in that a person can look at products and make decisions without having to drive all over town or to the mall.

One site I use gives you ten dollars to spend there. $10.00! www.stpetermerch.com with no obligation to spend another nickel! More than 90% of their customers KEEP COMING BACK! This is an online catalog store that REWARDS their shoppers! This is not; I REPEAT NOT one of those participation sites.

I have saved more than 25% on my purchases with the rewards the've given me so far.

• miscindy
    15 years ago

Well, we made an offer on a piece of land higher than the last offer they denied, but still a good deal. The offer was also denied, so we saved tens of thousands of dollars by not counter offering and paying more than we wanted to. Our 1st offer was our final offer.

I also bought my son a long sleeve shirt from the clearance rack at Target for $1.98! I would have bought more, but at that price there was only 1 left in his size or the next size up.

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

We use a bucket to catch water in the shower.Both while waiting for it to get warm and while taking a shower.Use it to water houseplants and flush toilet.

"If it's yellow,let it mellow......" This is something we've done for years in my family.

Cut off the water heater over night and part of the day.Saves electricity.

Thermostat is set at 58 at night and 62 during the day.I spend most of my time in my bedroom,so this isn't a problem.

Baked oatmeal prune cookies....lol.I was out of raisens and wasn't going out to get any.So,I used what I had.Cut the prunes up into small pieces.They taste great.

Using foods in freezer and pantry.Including a few packs of powder milk mix,to use in morning cereal.It's not to bad and it was free.

Requesting samples from online sites.I have recieved some great things in the past,including coffee,laundry detergent and nice size bottles of shampoo.

I'm cancelling an appointment I have,because 1) I need a break 2) Need to save the gas and 3)I need to do laundry....lol. We don't have a dryer and I didn't plan my clothing this week,so I don't have clean jeans for tomorrow.

My friend is having a party Friday night,and I'll ride with another friend to save gas.I'll also take a container for leftovers.Yummy ;)

• sara42_2009
    15 years ago

Hey Everyone,

I am sure everyone here is as worried about his or her financial problem as I am. I have found a great forum called http://fightagainstrecession.com/

Its a great place to discuss various issues regarding recession in America.

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

Made a great meal,or I should say a few meals,out of a can of black beans and a can of southwestern beans & corn.Chopped up a tomatoe that had to get used,part of a white onion,part of a purple onion and orange bell pepper that had to be used or composted.Added salt,pepper and hot sauce.We can eat as is or serve over rice.Meals for a couple days for sure.

Recieved a nice size tube of body lotion in the mail today.I love free samples.

Saved seeds to start.If they don't produce fruit,at least I'll have a nice plant.

Planning to take cuttings this week and pot to increase my houseplants and to have plants to sell and give to friends.

I'll be sure to check out the forum mentioned above.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Roxanne, I've made a bean dish similar to what you mentioned. It's delicious, isn't it? And good hot or cold. I prefer it cold on a hot summer day, with a slice of toasted whole wheat bread. YUM.

I'm notorious for tucking small amounts of things into the freezer. Every now and then I have to clean out the freezer and see what I can use up. I might find egg yolks, saved from when I made 7-minute frosting. I'll make a nice chocolate pudding and use them in that. Some things can be assembled into a "TV dinner" -- a little left-over rice, a frozen piece of meat, a few little tads of vegetables, mixed into a medley. Left over mashed potatoes and/or potato water go into potato rolls. Mashed potatoes are good mixed into canned mackerel or salmon, rolled in flour and fried. A good pot of soup will use up all the liquids I saved from canned vegetables plus lots of other things. Add egg noodles or home-made fluffy dumplings to frozen chicken broth and some left-over chicken for a meal. Bits of bread, the center and leafy parts of celery and a couple of frozen tomatoes go into a meatloaf. Sometimes we will eat for several days on those bits and tads of things I've saved that other people would throw away, or, in the case of chicken broth, not go to the trouble to make.

When I make soup, it seems like I can't make just a little bit. I could eat soup every day in the winter, with a nice corn muffin or some whole-wheat bread, but DH and DGS tire of it quickly. So I ladle the extra into wide-mouth pint canning jars. I'd really like to can it, but so many people say now that's not safe. So I leave some head space and freeze it. When I'm in the mood for soup, I put the frozen jar in a little pan of cold water, then heat it slowly on top of the stove until the contents of the jar show evidence of thawing. Then I pour the water out of the little pan and dump the contents of the jar into the pan and finish heating it up that way. If I have planned ahead, I'll just set the jar on a kitchen towel on the counter and let it thaw. But I usually don't know I'm in the mood for soup till I'm already hungry. DS lives alone and doesn't cook and he never turns down the opportunity to eat when he comes over. He loves soup.

• mississippirose
    15 years ago

Frugal is our life style so hanging out clothes and sheets on the line works just great. I do my own painting in the house and that obviously saves a great deal. I make my own bread as well. I freeze and vacuum seal leftovers so I can pull them out later on and don't have to cook. Our thermostat goes to 52 at night then to 61 in the day. Our electric bill is way down and we just put on a heavy sweater. These are old fashion ways that work great today.

• jeepin
    15 years ago

Ilene, for the leftover soup... depending on what kind of soup it is, you can either make burritos, enchiladas, or a pot pie with the leftovers, and save the broth for something else. I do that with DH's chili, and with chicken and beef stews sometimes. You could make mini pies, individual servings, if you felt creative and a little bored!

• phoggie
    15 years ago

This made me feel good~~
    Our local Goody's store was selling out. I went out and they were on the last few hours.....so I got $90.00 worth of slacks for my grandsons for only $1.50 total. Also got my daughter a pair of $45.00 slacks for only 50 cents. The last half hour,they sold all the items you could get into a basket for $10.00.....needless to say, some had baskets so full they couldn't even see over them....but all for $10.00!

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Ya know, Jeepin, I almost missed your post, and it was such a good idea! I think I'm going to make some enchaladas today. In fact, I think I've got enough enchalada sauce tucked away in the freezer for just such an occasion. I'm glad you posted.

• maddie_in_ky
    15 years ago

I needed some flower pots, so I checked when I was at Home Depot yesterday (which is unusual, since they are way out of my price range).

I found some beautiful pottery ones on the clearance table, with the original price of $33. I asked the cashier to scan one just to see what the price was--it was $3.00. Needless to say, I have several nice pottery pots in the garage just waiting! :)

• jeepin
    15 years ago

Skipping out on the convenience of drive thru coffee during my carpool... now I brew the SAME coffee at home and I reuse the cup I got from Dunkin. Saves more than I want to admit publicly that I spent before.
    Getting spring water from a local public, free spring instead of buying bottles of water.
    Gave up diet soda!!!

• cypriotsid
    14 years ago

When we do weekly veg shop ie carrotts cabbage etc i remove outer leaves or stalks as wil be thrown in bin when we get home.Fresh veg is weighed so removing these saves money

• joyfulguy
    14 years ago

Had a good-sized garden last year, this year landlord cultivated a large area, so now it's, between the two of us, much over double the size. The new part is 62 paces long (about 180 feet) and there are six rows.

He got out the tiller on Friday evening and got rid of a mess of weeds and I cleared quite a few along the edges of the rows on Sat. Thought that I'd pull some Lamb's Quarter weeds, pinching off root with thumbnail, to take to church today for people to cook up like spinach for greens but didn't have time.

I had enough squash that grew from discarded ones that I'd thrown on the garden so that I didn't need to buy seeds of that variety, and I had radishes that grew from seeds dropped from last year's crop, as well as tomatoes and beans.

Apart from some complaints from my knees due to spending so much time on the (granted, soft) ground ... and some from several muscles and joints that I'd forgotten that I had, as my knees need help from my hands when I've been on the ground for a time ... it's been a busy and a good week.

And, while not frugal now, there should be a large quantity of vegetables in the fall.

I take many of them to a couple of churches that I attend, asking that folks add to their offerings ... and the second church is talking about building a sanctuary, so have had a building fund running for a time, with various people thinking of money-raising projects.

Actually, it was through such a project that I got to meet Iva Mae face to face.

Some have gone to the Food Bank and other social agencies, as well.

Have yourselves a glorious week, folks - summer is at hand.

ole joyful

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Went out "rummaging" last Saturday. Spent a morning of pleasant talk time with DH while enroute. Got a little exercise getting in and out of the pick-up, walking up and down the street (there was a neighborhood sale on one block). Bought some nice t-shirts in several sizes (DH and I wear XL, DGS wears L, DS and DD wear 2X) for 25 cents each. They were all glad to get them, and I have stained up most of the t-shirts I currently have, painting and gardening. I always watch for things that might make good Christmas presents for my family. They like to get rummage sale stuff because they know I have a set amount that I spend for Christmas and they'd rather have more stuff than just a few. I found a Cuisinart food processor, clean, didn't look like it had even been used, with the book, both blades and also two stems and a julienne and grating blade, for $10. I tested it out before buying and it works perfectly. DD will be so happy to discover that under the tree! I found a large, brand new, still-in-the-box George Foreman grill for $10. (no book, though) Used it to grill hamburgers last night. The weekend before I found a nice Fossil watch, still in it's original box, for $10. One of the DGS' will be the recipient of that. The weekend before that, I found a brand new Eureka Hot Shot steam cleaner that I had been wanting, still in it's original box with all attachments and the book, for $5. Sometimes, I don't find a thing I want. But even then, I get out and meet people and I enjoy my morning.

Out of the garden this week, I got cabbage, beets and beet greens (they were yummy), plenty of romaine and a few onions. Last month we had baby lettuce, watermelon radish and asparagus. The beans are beginning to form and I have some green tomatoes on my plants. No squash this year as I still have some in the freezer. Next year, though, I'm going to dehydrate some like Grainlady does. There are tiny cucumbers on the vine and the dill looks like it'll be making umbrels right on time. I'll be using MIL's old recipe for garlic dills this year, that you can make a jar at a time. The sunflowers are heading up. I garden without chemical fertilizers and pesticides. Every fall I collect my neighbors' leaves that they bag up and put on the curb for garbage collection. I save the leaves by sticking the bags under my porch, where, as long as they are there, they insulate the foundation along the east side. They keep the wind from blowing things under there and they keep weeds from growing along the edges. Then, as I need them, I use them for mulch all over my garden. I happen to have come into several bales of hay for free and I find that if I put a little "slice" of hay on top of the leaves, it keeps them from blowing away. By the following spring, that mulch becomes healthy soil. I did get some cow manure from a local rancher this spring but I think I will not do that again. Lots of weed seeds, though not nearly as bad as the horse manure I had several years ago. Cows must be more selective in what they eat than horses are. I get heavy cardboard from a local furniture store. The boxes are large and some of them are sized perfectly for fitting down into the spaces between my raised beds. Bermuda grass is a problem here, it gets into everything and chokes things out, sending it's long, sinewey roots clear to China. The only way to control it is to shade it out.

I have to admit, I did splurge on seed buying from Baker Creek, as they are offering free shipping till the end of June. but I got things that you just can't pick up anywhere, and even if the package of seed costs $2.50 and $3.00 (isn't that outrageous?), I use my seeds very carefully and so just one plant that produces well will more than pay for the seed and the rest is "just gravy". A package of seed, stored carefully, will be viable for years.

We always batch our trips, so when we get done rummaging we go by the grocery store and buy whatever we need, usually on sale. I hear gas prices are going to be going up again, so even if you do happen to have a 'gas guzzler' vehicle, you will get more for your $$ if you learn to do as many of your errands at the same time as you can.

DGS got a ticket for not wearing his seatbelt! The officer told him it would be only $20 but what he didn't tell him was that if he waits for the court date and appears then to pay it, he will have to pay court costs too. Luckily we discovered in time and informed DGS of that, so he went to the court house and paid his fine and avoided paying court costs. Let this be a lesson to him, wear that seat belt!

• veggrljo
    14 years ago

I was laid off a few weeks ago and have had time to do more for money savings. So this week-
    Made a new cover for our porch swing from a goodwill sheet total cost $3.99.
    Picked up free mangoes from the state park where I volunteer. Made chutney,canned it and still can get more free mangoes to freeze etc. Would have gotten free lychees but found out I am allergic to them.
    Canned tomato sauce.
    Cooked all of our meals from scratch and ate leftovers for lunch.
    Shopped for groceries and restocked the pantry (much needed)and will save $$$$$.
    Made pizza from scratch- teenage son loves this!
    Made homemade laundry soap, diluted softener with vinegar and hung all the weeks laundry up to dry. No cheating with the dryer either :)
    My garden is done for the year- a few minor exceptions and am planning the fall garden now. I am glad I get 2 growing seasons a year but the heat right now is terrible!!!
    Best of luck to all!!!!

• ilene_in_neok
    14 years ago

Jo, so sorry to hear about your being laid off. But glad you're making the most of your time. I've been laid off twice. The first time, I was actually relieved to get the axe as I was not happy where I was working and DH brought in enough income that would tide us over till I found something else, even if that took a little while. The second time was not so convenient. By this time I had a disabled husband and desperately needed the insurance that job provided. Couldn't afford to keep COBRA. I think they would've fired me if they could have, I saw signs that they'd been examining my computer and searching my desk. So I guess it was good to leave there, too, it's just that financially it was not such a good time. Sometimes a lay-off is a chance to go off in a different direction that might end up being a very happy decision!

Good luck to you in whatever you choose to do from here on.

• veggrljo
    14 years ago

Hi Ilene- Thanks for the kind words :) they are needed and appreciated!!!
    I may be able to go back to work in August though I don't know if I want to work there anymore.
    I understand about the computer and desk because that was happening before I was laid off. I love the park and would enjoy working there even at the low rate of pay they offer. Unfortunately , due to the economy they don't have openings.
    Either way I have money saved, in part, because of this forum. All will be well no matter what!
    JO

• budster
    14 years ago

Today I hung laundry outside, made a cream of vegetable soup to use up some asparagas ends and bits of vegetable that were aging in the crisper drawer, made bread crumbs from dried crusts I'd been saving and made grapefruit juice from a couple of very ripe grapefruits no one was bothering to eat.....and the peel went into the compost. I never seem to think of the savings these activities involve until I ponder the title of this post.

• rgress
    14 years ago

I gave myself a haircut. Since I like my hair short I figured the #1 guard on my clippers would do just fine (and it did).