SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19709659

Christmas is coming...

User
11 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Been reading some of the posts. The one that goes into the age old debate of new vs thrifted gifts gets me everytime.

"It's not the present that counts but the way in which it is received that matters most."

Seriously in our economic times I give what I can afford. And I do follow the status quo to some degree. Family that likes new gifts I give gift cards to unless they specify what they want. If I cannot afford it then I give them the cash towards that purchase or gift card for the store.

Personally I don't care about the getting of gifts and I shop thrift stores all the time for myself. Sure I'd love to get new clothes once in awhile but finding those pieces almost or sometimes still with tags on them to me is like winning the lottery.

I do use the thrift shops for getting bulk holiday bags to put gifts in (the whole family reuses them - we've cut down on wrapping gifts a lot now). I love the Dollar store holiday decorated cardboard boxes to put stuff in. And I'm not shy on making some little stocking stuffers. I've done the home made gifts to accompany purchase gifts but I've now stopped since they are honestly not appreciated nor used by my in-law family. That's their problem not mine. We pinch our pennies and the family knows it as well as other family members. People are the way they are. I do my best to give what I can within a comfortable means of what I can afford. I also start shopping in the summer for xmas when sales are on and we always pay cash for xmas stuff so there are no bills waiting in January.

I respect people's choices of what they prefer. I am never offended at all if they want new. The funny thing is over the years they keep wanting to buy me new clothing for xmas and always the wrong size (small). God bless them for thinking I'm small when I purchase medium to large. I have finally convinced them to stop wasting their money on clothing for me because it's always the wrong size and they don't keep the receipts. My new gifts are passed on often to the charity shops. I'm a garden fanatic so now they get me gift cards for gardening stuff or garden things.

I do bake for the holidays.

As for the age old argument I just go with the flow. But for stocking stuffers I do have some fun with them.

Honestly I wish we could dispense with the gifting and just enjoy a great family meal and time together.

I'm going to do the de-icer stuff I posted on since everyone drives into a stocking bag along with some home baking, new toothbrushes and toothpast, lip balms. This year I'm making moisturizing lemon hand scrub for the gals to go in pretty containers. Oh for the guys I sometimes include a package of batteries for the tv remotes. Can never have enough batteries.

Again I get these things when the sales are on. I don't buy clothes for anyone after getting years of getting clothes that don't fit and are not to my taste. If I want new clothes I go to the charity shops in January - by mid-Jan the new clothes from xmas have now been processed and are hanging on the racks. Not to mention a lot of the toiletry/candle packs. If ya wanna know what not to get folk check the charity shops in January. Save your money next year.

Another gift we give and we do ask first is a donation to a charity in the name of the person. When we were flush with money years ago I had hubby donate my b-day money to a desperate pet rescue center - we also included the xmas cash we got.

You never know when you could be in the receiving end of charity and there are many people who do not have the luxury to enter the debate of new vs used gifts. Let's think of them this holiday season. If you live in a cold area, the homeless always need socks, hats, mitts, underwear. And they do appreciate your old winter coats.

Let's get beyond any pettiness this year and remember those in need. Especially now after that horrid storm has just passed inland.

May God bless them and help them through this terrible time.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?