SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susielou_gw

Grocerygame.com

susielou
17 years ago

Has anyone tried it? I am new to saving money and I am starting with saving on my groceries - it does take some time to clip the coupons but I really enjoy the savings at the register....just thought it would be nice to hear your expirience.

Comments (8)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

I guess one would have to save enough to warrent paying to be a member. Often coupons cause impulse buying, when the store brand is as good or better, and cheaper without a coupon.

here is the cost to join...
    If you're a first time member, you can try out TERI'S LIST for 4 weeks for only $1! After that, TERI'S LIST is just $10 every 8 weeks for one store. Most areas offer only one store LIST. But if you happen to be in an area where more than one LIST is available, for each additional store list you choose, you'll be billed an additional $5 every 8 weeks. For example, if you subscribe to TERI'S LIST for only one store, you're billed $10 every 8 weeks. If you subscribe to two store lists, you're billed $15 every 8 weeks. Three stores, $20 every 8 weeks, and so on.If you're a first time member, you can try out TERI'S LIST for 4 weeks for only $1! After that, TERI'S LIST is just $10 every 8 weeks for one store. Most areas offer only one store LIST. But if you happen to be in an area where more than one LIST is available, for each additional store list you choose, you'll be billed an additional $5 every 8 weeks. For example, if you subscribe to TERI'S LIST for only one store, you're billed $10 every 8 weeks. If you subscribe to two store lists, you're billed $15 every 8 weeks. Three stores, $20 every 8 weeks, and so on.

I doubt if they would even have a supermarket listed for my 'area' without me having to drive an additional 1/2 hour out of my way to use coupons for savings.

I guess it would be ok to maybe try it for $1, but I imagine you have to pay that $1 with a credit card, and if you don't cancel in time, they will keep automatically billing you on it. It could be a nightmare if not cancelled in plenty of time.

I for one, shop and buy what is on sale, and stock up on it. When what I need isn't on sale, I usually just buy the store brand, and don't buy any additional at the full price.
    I'm fortunate to have a good sized pantry, basement for extra storage of canned goods, and a big freezer.

Sue

• lovelycherry
    17 years ago

I subscribed to Terri's list for one month. Got all the tips i could, now do my own couponing.
    Here is what I do.. I purchase the Sunday paper with coupons.

I clip them all regardless if I use that particular brand or item.
    I keep them in a three ring binder filled with clear sheets (the kind you used in high school to hand in a report) I have them organized by type.
    I also keep a calculator in my binder. It is very small and clips on one of the rings. I use this to check the price per item with the sale, somethimes it is not less then the store brand, and there for not a good deal. It may be the same price then I buy want the name brand.
    All my shampoo is in one clear sheet, all my paper goods etc.

I do not use all the coupons I clip but I do keep them, just in case. Kids may need something for school or I need to buy something for an occasion

I take this book to the market. I can quickly scan them by item/or aisle and see if I have any for the sale items.
    I keep a paper clip in the front and clip it to my paper clip.
    I often see people fumbling with a stack of coupons, while I am just turning the pages.
    I do try and wait till the item goes on sale before buying it. Then I buy more then I need and use my stockpile.
    Recently brown sugar was on sale, I had a coupon so I stocked up even though I had some in the freezer.
    Some items only go on sale once a year.

My supermarket will often discontinue items slashing them 50%. Last month they got rid of a paticular fragrance of Downy I do not buy that brand because it tends to cost more per ounce, but with the 50% plus my coupon (which I kept in my binder just in case) which was doubled I got it for less then the store brand.

That is the goal to combine the sale with the the coupon and get the items you will use for less.

Coupons exist for shampoos,toilet paper, paper towels, dog treats, coffee, sanitary napkins, toothpaste, toothbrushes and other household items.
    If you are not a particular brand person then this works to your advantage.

I also read my supermarket flyer very carefully often two or three times. Sometimes I pull the coupons and put them under the paper clip before I even enter the store so I know what I am couponing for.

I think it is so fun.. I even share my coupons with my coworkers who have babies and need diapers, or strangers in the store.

Ohh! Stop and Shop will except King Kullens coupon for $10.00 off the total order of $70.00 or more. I always ask if they accept the competitors coupons. Home depot accepts Lowes as well.

The temptation to over buy just because you have a coupon for the item will always exist.
    Overcoming that desire is called self control.

Enjoy the fun!
    Lovelycherry

• sparksals
    17 years ago

I used Teri's List for a few months and I saved alot of money. You do have to cancel the trial if you don't want to be charged after the trial period is over.

It was alot of work at first trying to find a way to organize the coupons and rushing to stores to take advantage of the deals. I started this when I wasn't working, so I had time to do so.

Once I found my system, it worked quite well and I limited myself to two stores, so I paid $15 ever 8 weeks. For me, it was well worth it.

The only drawback is the list comes out on Sunday and you only have until Tuesday to do your shopping. Most stores ads expire on Tues and a new one comes out on Wed. When I got to the store on Monday or Tuesday, the best deals were always sold out and I had to get a raincheck.

I always got toothbrushes and toothpaste for close to nothing. I would have a whole cartload of groceries and only paid $20 with savings nearly $100.

Once I started work full time, I just didn't have time to do the coupon clipping on Sunday and then go to the store after work on either Monday or Tuesday. it was just too much.

It was very easy to cancel the subscription. I just cancelled online the day before my subscription was to be renewed. They did charge me for it, but then I emailed and told them I cancelled and it was promptly reversed. No problems. No questions.

I really did save alot of money. We don't have alot of room for the stockpiling, so I had to pick and choose things we really used and needed to stock up on.

I highly recco you try the $1 trial just to see how it works for you. I saved tonnes more than I paid for the subscription to the list. With the trial, you can enroll for ALL stores in your area, not just one, and then choose the store that you find the best deal.

I wound up keeping Safeway and Fry's and ditched Albertson's because their deals just weren't as good. I still checked Basha's ads (basha's isn't on the list) and sometimes found better deals there.

All in all, if I had the time, I would definitely re-enroll. It's just a very time consuming method and it takes time to get your system going, as well as to have all the coupons in your stash.

I wound up buying a small accordian file. I organized the coupons into categories and pulled out the ones I needed from the list before I went to the store. Then, i stapled them all together, so I knew what I would be buying.

I like the other idea of having a binder with the plastic sheets and a paperclip to pull out and pin once it's been used.

Anyway, give it a try. You won't know if it works for you unless you try. For $1, it's a small price to pay for the possiblity of added savings.

• bry84
    17 years ago

I'm not a big coupon user, I find locally that store brands are just as good and almost inevitably cheaper. They also go on sales, which is when I try to buy them. I've recently discovered that a number of stores list all their current sale items on their web sites. Certainly useful to read before going shopping.

• amers88
    17 years ago

I saw Grocery Game on the news a while back and was going to sign up for it, but did a search and found a few other sites that do the same thing for free. I tried a couple of them out and really liked http://www.groceryguide.com/ it has a lot more stores. It will make a shopping list for you like the store sites, but it will also match coupons. Not everyone likes to do the sales and coupons thing, but if you are looking at paying to do it, I would try this one first.

• jaceysgranny
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info everybody. I checked the GroceryGuide.com
    Amers, thanks. My husband is getting ready to retire and I am getting ready for back surgery so all I can do to save will really help.

Nancy

• fernly2
    17 years ago

Anyone know how to unsubscribe from THE GROCERY GAME INC/Â TERIS SHOPPING LIST? I seem to have gotten on their subscription list a couple of months ago and have no idea how. Thanks.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Fernly,

I would be afraid you will somehow soon start to be billed for the use of their site, if you haven't been already. Hopefully they didn't get your cr cd number to bill automatically after the 4 weeks for $1 runs out.

I followed some links at thier site, and the page linked below tells 'how to cancel'. Good luck.

sue

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Cancel

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths