Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
De-Icing Spray and Lock De-Icer

Posted by mcpeg (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 8:21

Hi everyone,

A blog somewhere mentioned that a mixture of 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 water in a spray bottle will de-ice your car windows. They suggest spraying when you park the car in bad weather and when you park your car for the night at home. In the morning it should be easier to clear the ice.

Also a small bottle of hand sanitizer in your coat pocket can be used on locks and your key since it's 90% alcohol.

If you travel during the day with a back pack even a smaller spray bottle with the vinegar mix and a small scraper might help you get into your car easier.

There could be other applications for this in winter maybe like spraying the ice around your doors? Spraying anything frozen and stuck?

Makes sense to me. Could even make up small spray bottles and attach a small hand sanitizer with a note on this for stocking stuffers to spread the word.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: De-Icing Spray and Lock De-Icer

Have you actually tried it? Does it work?

o

I have not tried it - just read about it. I'm getting more and more away from chemicals and saving pennies. I am definitely going to give this a go. We normally get lots of ice in December - it will be ready by the door. I could also try it the next time I defrost my freezer to see how it works on the stuff on the sides.

Doesn't hurt to try. Doesn't cost much.

Cheers,
Peggy

o

I would be worried about vinegar damaging the paint and corroding the metal of the lock, but am not sure if these are valid concerns or not.

If you can run an extension cord, a hair dryer will get you in there pretty quickly. While it's not frozen, you can also make sure the lock is well lubricated with WD-40 which would help ice fall off easier if it did form. You can also rub a little oil around the rubber seal so it's less likely to freeze the door shut.

Never park in deep slush in the evening or your car may be stuck to the ground in the morning.

I would also turn off the heat in the car a little before getting home if it was snowing. If that stuff doesn't melt on the car so much, it's not an ice sheet, it's so much easier to get off.

Moved here from OH a few years ago. I don't miss this stuff at all!!

o

I also would worry about vinegar damaging the car, vinegar damages a lot of things. It will kill grass but not weeds, weird. It turned my blue towel gray, thankfully it was an old one. I have spots on kitchen towels when I wipe the counter after using vinegar. I tried de icers years ago and it didn't work for me. I just ran the car for a bit to warm the ice up.

o

That is why I asked if the OP actually tries this.
Vinegar is an acid. and can cause damage.

I really don't think this would make a good stocking stuffer as suggested....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here