Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
"Name Your Own Price" Yard Sale

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 3:10

My husband and I combined our two households when we got married and have been trying to get rid of stuff ever since.

We donated some things, but our local charities no longer accept bedding, stuffed toys, large furniture pieces, old TVs and certain other items. We held some yard sales, but still had stuff left over that we need to get rid of, and because it's still good, we didn't want to just toss it to the landfill, so we came up with the "name your own price" yard sale and it really worked.

We drew a large crowd. Most people were pretty fair and our still serviceable stuff went to homes that could use it, so we were happy and didn't have to pay anybody to cart things away. It made some of our "customers" happy, too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: "Name Your Own Price" Yard Sale

I donate to the Bethesda Gently Used Store. They have not turned down anything and believe it or not no one uses their store for a dumping ground for old sofas, etc.. Some large things I have put out by the curb and put a "free" sign on them. gone in an hour.

o

We aren't allowed to put things to the curb here. The city will fine you if they see you do it.

o

I like to shop at local thrift stores. Many years ago, I had to move out of a 4th floor walk up. I had an old 27" TV that needed to go. I didn't want to pay to have it taken away so I went to the thrift store. I saw a nice young man looking at the TV's.

I asked if he would be interested in one for nothing. He asked what the catch was. I said all he had to do was come over and carry that heavy monster down the stairs and it was his!

Problem solved! He brought his girlfriend and I gave her a few sundry items I knew I wouldn't need as well. They really appreciated it as they were expecting a child.

I've used Freecycle, yard sales, Craigslist and my own lawn to get rid of stuff. Always makes me feel good when it goes to someone who I can tell really needs it.

o

This year we decided to participate in the neighborhood yard sale. But we just put everything out free. I've seen family member run sales, it's time consuming. For the relatively small amount of decent stuff we had, it was well worth it to us to have the day free and the stuff gone!

Now if we had a lot, or stuff worth selling for more than a nominal amount, it might have been different. But this time we all won!

o

I put things for free on Craigslist. It gets things out of my house and to someone who at least "thinks" they want it. I once put a huge broken floorlamp out on the street for the garbagemen, but someone came and took it before the garbage truck. I only pray it didn't start a fire. It had been overheating and throwing out my circuitbreaker/fusebox.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here