Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

my quirky money saving tip ...water

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 21:30

I live in the city . Our city water is AWFUL .... it smells like used swimming pool water ... so much CHLORINE ...
UGH !!!!!!!! I swear I can even smell our ice cubes.
For years , we've had bottled water delivered .... but that's going to stop. I discovered something ------

I bought my first fish EVER -- a Beta. There's drops to put in the water to instantly get rid of the chlorine for the fish. I tried it in a glass of water I was going to drink -- it's awesome ... one drop and the chlorine is gone !!! I can drink Tap water now without being repulsed.
We're selling the bottled water cooler now - that'll save about $30 a month. It's little discoveries like this that make me do the HAPPY DANCE !

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: my quirky money saving tip ...water

sodium thiosulfate - produced chiefly from liquid waste products of sodium sulfide or sulfur dye manufacture.

Buy it in the large size at the swimming pool supply's store.

May cause mild eye irritation.
May cause skin irritation.
Ingestion may cause sore throat, coughing, nausea, abdominal pain.
Inhalation may cause coughing, respiratory irritation, dyspnea, pulmonary edema.

RE: my quirky money saving tip ...water

You can also just put a jug of water on the counter overnight and let the chlorine dissipate. Which is what we do for our fish rather than use the chemical stuff.


RE: my quirky money saving tip ...water

The stuff that gets rid of the chlorine - doesn't scare me - one drop in 8 oz. of water is all it takes. I'll survive ! LOL

RE: my quirky money saving tip ...water

Chlorine will evaporate out of the water if left standing uncovered overnight. However, many municipalities are now chlorinating with chloramines. Chloramines will not evaporate, leaving treatment or removal as the only options for dechlorination.

Campden tabets will also remove chlorine/chloramine. They are used in the home production of wine. They are very inexpensive and one tablet will treat between 15 and 20 gallons of water.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here