SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

about those used college texts...

chery2
20 years ago

I swore that when I retired, one of my soap-box issues would be the horrendous cost of college textbooks. Now I am, so here I go. It became obvious to me that the PROFESSORS were in CAHOOTS with the textbook people when I took a Human Growth and Development couse for my Master's Degree [2000], and a friend who had taken the same course 2 years before offered to lend me the book she'd bought new -- same title, author, publisher, DIFFERENT EDITION. I asked the prof it that would be ok, and she hemmed and hawed and finally said she couldn't guarantee that her test questions would have the same answers, since she based her questions on material from the REVISED EDITION. Well, for $140 I decided to take the chance. Geeze Louise! The test questions were either about things that haven't changed or things that required our own personal experience -- in other words, the book for the course could have been more than 10 years old, and the answers to the questions would not have been one bit different! MY DD was very good at seeking out used books [Varsity Books), and she had a job in the bookstore that gave big discounts, and friends willing to share. DOWN WITH TEXTBOOK ROBBERY!!! CHERY-VA

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Loudoun County, Virginia