SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

Cheap things that end up expensive

toomuchglass
16 years ago

This is the opposite post of :

"Expensive things that end up cheaper " .

My DH always told me - penny wise - dollar foolish. Boy ,I've leared that lesson hundreds of times over in my lifetime. I've always bought Cheap . Used. On Sale. Second hand. ( Trying to pinch that penny !! ) There's just somethings that aren't worth skimping on. I have too long of a list to post - but a couple things that stick in my mind were - a box spring and mattress. Oh Yeah - went to the sleazy warehouse bed & mattress place because they has " Blow-out prices ! " Got the bed home ... assembled it -- and the box spring SQUEAKED so loud - we couldn't sleep . The mattress sagged more than an 80 year old stripper. AWFUL !! We ended up buying a whole new set at a GOOD STORE.

( Double cost ) We bought a "close out ceiling fan " ... took it back and exchanged it 3 times because of fitting problems. That sucker Finally shorted out a bunch of wires in this old house & we ended up having a contractor re-do al lthe wiring in the house. Gulp . Oh yeah .......a closeout $50 fan costs us thousands.

I've learned alot of lessons here. Don't get me wrong --- I really have had alot of good luck with used or clearance stuff - it's those one or two things that make you kick youself in the butt !! LOL Any stories to relate ?

Comments (8)