Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shopping for small things on eBay resulted in some big savings

Posted by bry84 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 28, 06 at 16:18

I've recently discovered a lot of items like printer cartridges/toner, electric toothbrush heads, stationary and many other small items on eBay for far lower prices than anywhere else. Perhaps everyone has been buying them this way for years, but it was a new discovery for me and it's going to save me a good amount of money in the future.

Of course it's still good for bigger items too, I've picked up some excellent bargains over the past couple of weeks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shopping for small things on eBay resulted in some big saving

I had an old Papermate ballpoint pen I really liked. I bought refills very cheap, like 20 for a dollar on Ebay.

o

I'm always amazed at what I can find. I haven't thought about small stuff, because shipping to Alaska can add up. We don't have the outlet stores, so I frequently buy new winter gear for my kids, which is less expensive even with shipping, than buying it locally. It may be last year's colors, but pink is pretty much still pink.

Gloria

o

Watch the shipping costs, though. Some sellers have ridiculous shipping and handling charges in an attempt to pick up some extra profit. Make sure your purchase still is a deal after you amortize the cost of shipping over what you buy.

o

The shipping can be steep. Sometimes more than the item. But generally it's reasonable and for small items within the country it's hardly significant.

Further still, don't be reluctant to pay more for shipping than the item costs, sometimes it still works out a good deal.

A while back I paid 1.70 for a pair of levis which are like new and hardly worn. I also paid 5 to post them. Still, a new pair of levis cost about 45, sometimes more.

o

I just bought some tape cartridges for my new (to me) Brother P-Touch labeler.

They retail anywhere from about $20 to $30 a piece, and I was able to get them 6 for $49.50, and that even included shipping.

I also bought some video games (some new and some used) very reasonable, even with the shipping. Kids don't care if they are new...they just want something new 'to them', or variety.

Sue

o

I buy vacuum bags on eBay. The type I need are hard to find and the price is terrific, even with shipping. I also buy books, collectibles, Legos and a bunch of other things. If you're careful, there are definitely bargains to be had!

o

You can get magazine subscriptions VERY cheaply on ebay. I recently got 4 years of Country Home (usually $19.97/yr) for $8.99. You can buy new subscriptions or renew your current ones. I have been doing this for about a year and the subscriptions never fail to come. Almost any magazine you could want is available. I will never subscribe or renew at the regular price again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here