Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Rental

Posted by Adnemra (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 03 at 14:40

Have a detached, two-car garage and I'm thinking about renting half of it. If any of you do this, do you charge by square footage, comparable storage rates in the area, or use other factors to determine rental fee? Do you and/or how often do you raise the rent, and if so by how much? Only plan to rent the space for storage only - not as a workshop. Have also posted on Household Finances and Kitchen Table.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Rental

If I were renting it for my car, I'd want to pay based on comparable storage rates in the area, and how many vehicles I can put there. I wouldn't pay much attention to square footage, just to "how much can I store my car for"?

If I were renting it to store my stuff, then I'd worry about cubic feet, quality of shelves, etc., and I'd be comparing it to self-storage facilities. And I'd want the rates to be lower, because frankly the security would be lower.

o
RE: Garage Rental

I would suggest a legal lease form, with specific directions on how the space is to be used, the length of time of the lease and the rent. Will your insurance company approve of this in the event there is damage to the garage or something in it? Will their insurance company cover the damage? (Get the name of their insurance co.)
We live in a condo, where some owners lease their spaces as they do not have a car any more; or they go out of state for the winter, etc. and they are extremely careful about leasing the garage space to others. AnnieIL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here