Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Credit card fraud

Posted by goldy (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 30, 08 at 14:22

Someone opened a credit card in my name.I keep calling the co. and saying it's not me.They keep calling me to ok. purchases.what do I do now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Credit card fraud

Go to Google and put in the search term "identity theft." That should bring up a whole list of useful websites that will explain what to do. The FTC, federal trade commission, has useful information. Consumersreport.org also has useful information.

Be prepared for a big, long headache. Once it starts, it often doesn't go away for a long time, and then, just when you think it's been fixed, something else emerges, and you have to start right away.

One of the things they say you should do is to go to the 3 credit reporting companies -- EXPERIAN is one of them, I don't remember the others, and tell them that you are a victim of identity theft. They may want a list of you legitimate credit card accounts, and you can tell them not to approve any credit applications without checking personally first with you.

o

Someone opened a credit card in my name.
Have you received an actual bill? If not, it rather sounds like someone might be 'fishing' for your personal info.

I would call and ask to speak to a supervisor, and NOT disclose any info...as they 'should' have all that on your application...which you did not fill out.

Maybe just add that you want to close the account...end of story to them.

Sue

o

What haus is speaking about above is freezing one's credit, so no new accounts can be opened. It is free for me here in Indiana.

It can then be lifted for free too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumers Union's Guide to Security Freeze Protection

o

Yes I recived a bill for $9.92 .I called and they said I would get a letter and to sign it and everything would be alright.Today I get a call to verify a purchase and I said"noway"'The person hung up.I called Sears right away and they don't know anything about it.This must be my week!.

o

chemocurl has a good point, especially when Sears didn't
know to what you were referring. Contact the FTC, the credit agencies, etc. before it gets any bigger. Good luck!

o

There is a regular list of stuff to do. Just google credit card identy theft. Even notify the police dept. Our state allows freezing credit information free also, but be aware, once you do this, you have to notify the credit bureaus that YOU are appying for the loan, and they will ask for proof.
Get a copy of your credit from the bureaus and you can do this once a year. Check for other accounts that may not be yours.

o

First of all, calling accomplishes nothing. You need to write a letter to the card company stating that you have not opened the account and that you believe this is a case of fraud.

The credit agencies are Experian, Transunion, and Equifax.

You are eligible to request your credit report for free ONCE a year for EACH agency. You should do so immediately for all three agencies. Creditors do not always report to all three agencies so your credit record may differ slightly from each one.

If you don't think you are going to open new credit - anything from a home equity line to a credit card to a new car - then freeze your credit records at all three agencies. There is a modest charge to do so. There is also a charge and a time delay in 'unfreezing' it, should you someday apply for any credit or need a credit check (such as opening a bank account or even renting an apartment).

Do NOT go to any site but the one linked below. This is the only website set up to provide a truly free credit report from any of the three credit agencies. All others try to snooker you into signing up for credit monitoring, which they'll charge you for every month.

Here is a link that might be useful: Annual credit report request website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here