SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

A hundred miles to the gallon ... in a regular CAR???

joyfulguy
19 years ago

More than two years ago, when my old step-uncle's wife died, some of us who cared about him were worried that, as his mobility was restricted, he'd get into trouble living alone.

In his high 80s, having had three hip replacements and suffering major pain in back, hip and leg, he none the less kept cattle in the barn and we feared that, with no one in the house to sound the alarm should he have fallen in a snowbank and didn't return for an extended period, he might freeze to death.

I stayed with him for a couple of months till the cattle went to pasture.

After that I visited him occasionally.

On his death something over 6 months ago, some of his friends were worried that his home would be broken into if left vacant, so I said that I could help by visiting frequently.

I've made the 25 mile round trip almost daily since then, sleeping there most nights.

Actually, I'm feeling embarrassed - for though I visited him occasionally, I thought that I should visit oftener.

Now that he's dead - I'm going there every day!

There are a couple of places where the road descends into a creek valley and one where it crosses over a freeway.

If anyone had told me that I could travel over 3/4 of the way to his place without my engine running, I would have told them that they had cheese for brains.

My little 1990 Dodge Colt, 1.5 litre engine, standard tranny, had gone over 87,000 mi. when I bought it, seven years old, just over seven years ago. It has gone about 190,000 mi. now.

Having become quite familiar with the road, I have found that there are a number of places where I can turn off the engine and let the car coast for over 5/8 of a mile.

As there is often little traffic in the middle of the night, so I am not impeding people's progress, I've found that I can frequently coast over 16 kilometres of the 20 kilometre trip.

If one can coast for over 80% of one's travel, surely one is getting something like 100 mi./gal. using a little engine like that?

To be fair - when I turn on the ignition and let in the clutch, I often run the engine much harder than in the ordinary course of travel, to build up speed, and travelling in a lower gear and uphill, preparing for the next coast.

Maybe not quite 100 mi./gal. - but maybe close?

Good wishes for frugal living - without strain.

Or worry.

ole joyful

P.S. My uncle left me a bequest in his will.

oj

Comments (8)