Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mascara

Posted by karenmamo (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 8, 07 at 11:18

Ladies, know how we are told to throw away our mascara every three months because of germs?
I was out of my favorite brand and tried hydrogen peroxide.
It worked great and just kept doing this.
Get enough HP to fill the cap.........pour a little right on the wand......then shove the wet wand down into the mascara tube.
I also have a tiny funnel that I can use.
Have extended the use of my mascara by months and no fear of germs.
Those little things add up.

karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mascara

Doesnt that water down or ruin the mascara?

o
mascara

Ninos,
Mine seems to get thicker anyway and this little treatment will thin it just enough.
Doesn't your get kinda globby after some time?
Try it--

karen

o

Doesn't your get kinda globby after some time?

I think it does...because it tends to get dried out. Each time the brush/wand is plunged into it, it forces air into it, which leads to it drying out.

Ladies, know how we are told to throw away our mascara every three months because of germs?
I wasn't aware of that, but can understand manufacturers saying it to cover their butts just in case, and also to encourage customers to just plain throw it out and buy it again, and again.

The same applies to kitchen spices and them not being 'good' after an expiration or suggested 'use by' date.

I think they are just fine, maybe a little less potent, but I just use them in a little greater quantity once they get a little older. Sheesh...manufacturers just want us to waste and replace as much as they can get us to.

Sue

o

I'm with you on the kitchen spices, but I'd be careful with the makeup - particularly eye makeup. I tend to keep using my mascara a little past 3 months if it hasn't gotten clumpy, but if you are ever sick, I'd definitely toss your mascara.

Nothing quite so attactive as pink eye or a sty or any of that nonsense. $6 for a new tube is worth it to me.

Nail polish - I'll use that as long as the product holds up. But you can't mess around with your eyes.

o

Hi, it's me again.
I use to have conjunctivitis so often. My internist told me there was no need for the expensive antibiotic ointment I had used for so long. She told me to soap up my hands and clean my face and eyes. Works.
Have no problem ever now.
The hydrogen peroxide does work.
Now I use it in my mascara tube shortly after I open it just to make sure there are no germs being applied to my eyes. lol

karenmamo

o

You make a good suggestion with adding a bit if HP to a new tube of mascara. I read somewhere where they tested new products off the shelves and like 60 percent was contaminated with stuff. Expensive stuff was no less likely to be more pure than the cheap stuff.

o

I have some mascara that was starting to thicken & get clumpy so I tried your suggestion & dipped the wand in some peroxode. You're right! I really does thin it out and make it easier to apply.

Just curious about soaping up and washing your face & eyes...doesn't that hurt? If I get even a small amount of shampoo in my eye in the shower it stings like crazy. Don't think I could wash my eyes with soap..

o

Hi Rose. Ever seen how a guy washes his face?
He lathers the soap between his hands then rubs his face down good--turns his face into the shower water to rinse.
Tip: Keep your eyes closed during the process.
Smiling big.
karen

o

Hi Karen :)

I've seen DH wash his face...I guess I just never got the hang of that. I'm sissy like when it comes to my eyes. Hate it when I get shampoo in them :(

BTW..my names not really *rose* ( hate that name) LOL!

just all me AZ :)

o

I use a few drops of alcohol to thin my old mascara and have done so for years. It works fine except the first time I use it after adding the alcohol, I have to wave the brush around a few seconds or the fumes will make my eyes water. Next time I'll try peroxide instead.
I figure that if it is potent enough to make my eyes water, it is killing the germs.

o

Peroxide won't kill anything after the initial bubble. It just turns to water. So, mostly, you are thinning your mascara is all. Don't count on it to protect you from germs though.

o

I have been using the same tube of mascara probably 8 years. I only wear it for special occassions, maybe once a month. I don't believe the "germ theory" the manufacturers promote. They just want you to buy more of their stuff.

Mascara is pretty much 100% synthetic. What would the germs live on?

I also have other makeup that is years and years old. As long as it still works fine, it's good enough for the few times a year I need it.

o

That is a good tip, but I just don't think it sounds safe. Might as well just buy a new bottle?

o

I would throw it away just like I do my chap stick. It's scary to think about what it looks like under a microscope. I buy new every 2 or 3 months.

o

I don't think spices are in the same category as make up, especially mascara. Spices stay in a jar and is not exposed to bacteria as with make up. I think they might loose some of the flavor. Any precautions I read regarding my eyes I take seriously until I check with the eye doctor. Someone told me I should NOT clean my glasses with Windex. I ask my eye doctor and he said nothing wrong with using it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here