Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shoe stretching

Posted by boothbay (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 20, 13 at 16:15

Cleaning out the attic we came across this object that the previous owners left.It looks like an old fashioned shoe stretcher. Coincidentally, I needed just such an item for my shoe. I have seen the later ones that are completely different from these so i am just guessing how these may work. The knob at the end confused me until I thought that it has to be hammered down fully to give the shoe the stretch...but its next impossible to do. Does anyone know just how these are suppose to work? Here are two photos of it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shoe stretching

Apparently one cannot include 2 photo's in one message so here is the other view....unless someone can tell me how does one include more than one photo in one message..

o

That does not look like a stretcher to me... it looks like a shoe last (used to make and repair shoes).

o

I agree. I looks like a last.

o

I have heard of a shoe horn but why is this object called a "last"?

o

Could also be a shoe tree....one that you put in your shoes after wearing them. A shoe stretcher would be something that you can adjust wider at the toe part and also adjust from heel to toe.

o

Post this in the antiques and collectables forum and see what they say.

o

I am not old but my dad used these. He had very dressy shoes for work and stored his shoes with these in them in the closet. They kept the shoe's shape. You slide the toe part in, and then push the knob down towards the heel. It should be very snug, but if it's next to impossible to wedge into your shoe, then it's just too big. he also used them when polishing his shoes. Maybe so they wouldn't shrink? This was only back in the 70s and 80s.

o

I had a pair some years ago that looked like these.

They're shoe trees, used to put into shoes after wearing to help maintain their shape, to keep them straight rather than curling up a bit..

I also had a pair that had a narrower, rounded stick at the back, with a spring in it, which pushed back against the heel.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here