Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deals on rental cars?

Posted by alison (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 15, 06 at 14:25

I need to rent a car from the Seattle airport for Saturday thru the following Sunday night. I'll probably put about 200 miles on it (driving out to family on the Olympic Pennisula and back)

Any recommendations on the best companies? Any internet coupons or codes floating out there?

Appreciate any suggestions. I wish I didn't have to get one, since I'm just going to park it for a week, but it's unavoidable.

Off to do some on-line research!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deals on rental cars?

Might look at expedia

Or maybe Seattle has car rental place called, Rent-a-Heap.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.expedia.com/daily/cars/seattle-car-rental.asp?CCheck=1&

o

Might try some of those 'last-minute-deals' Web sites, too. Stands to reason that last-minute flyers would need last-minute rental cars, too.

o

If you're not going to use the car during the week, maybe you might want to price a car service? It might be just as cheap to hire a car and driver to deliver you and pick you up. Just a thought.

I generally rent from Enterprise, and have my e-mail address listed with them. Almost always, they have some sort of special going, that I can take advantage of.

And don't forget, if you're a member of AAA or AARP, you may get a discount using your membership card. Have a great trip.

o

Could one of your family members be induced to pick you up (for a portion of the rental fee)...

... and, while you are together with family, quite likely you might find someone to deliver you, later.

You'd have to pay for (most of) the gas in the rental, in addition to the rental cost, in any case.

ole joyful

o

Unfortunately, it's about 100 miles from the airport, to the middle of nowhere, so I think a driver would be hard to arrange. (Actually, I haven't heard of that service being offered anywhere outside of cities -- worth looking into.)

Wish they could pick me up -- when I was a kid they used to meet me at the foot of the ferry, but that's still easily a 90 minute round trip for them.

o

Check out orbitz.com as well as expedia. They often have great deals on rentals. They work with six or 8 rental companies. Results from a search involve all companies and all car sizes in one big chart that's easy to look at.

Another place to check is the site of the airline you're flying. I booked a rental last night after buying a ticket on USAir. It's with Hertz, usually the most expensive rental company, but the rate was $4/day less than the Dollar and Thrifty quotes on Orbitz. The USAir site directed me to Hertz and automatically inserted a discount code.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here