SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Just got a bonus (well-deserved, of course!)

joyfulguy
18 years ago

Yesterday on the way in from feeding the cats in the barn, I noticed something in the pasture like a ball, big and white, about 30 feet to the left of the path.

When I walked over to check it, it was a big white ball about 15" x 12" or so, with smooth slightly cream-coloured surface, rather spongy to the touch.

Pulled it free, took it into the house - it was quite light in weight.

Gave half to my landlord, who said it was, as I expected, a puffball and was really pleased when I gave about half of it to him - it is his farm, after all.

He said to fry it in the pan with butter, that it would shrink substantially, as it is spongy like foam rubber.

Cooked up some last night to have with potato and hamburger stew, boiled celery and fresh tomato. It has an attractive and delicate, though somewhat bland taste.

Gave some to another neighbour last evening, some to a friend this morning (he owed me money, some of which he paid this morning, so that was sort of in the way of appreciation).

I also took some to my daughter's (her Mom's home, that now has a "For Sale" sign in front - if you'd like a nice, middle level home in London, give us a call).

It'll be a new experience for her.

Son should enjoy it, as he likes portobello mushrooms.

Puffballs, like the portobellos, would be pretty expensive in the store, I imagine.

So - that was my rather unexpected adventure for the past day.

Plus tasty and (possibly somewhat) nutritious.

Cost-free, too - can't beat that.

I hope that something special and interesting (without deleterious side-effects) happens along your path, this week, also.

ole joyful

P.S. They say that eating puffballs isn't risky - but, if it might be, I guess I escaped deadly consequences: I'm still here.

o j

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz