Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I made Kefir! Now what?

Posted by CCinTX (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 11 at 13:42

I'm so excited! My kefir grains are finally making kefir consistently. Now what do I do with all this stuff? I made strawberry and blackberry smoothies with frozen fruit. What else can I make with it? Is it ok to make the smoothies up in a large batch or should I only add the fruit right before I serve it? What is the best type of sweetener to use with kefir?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I made Kefir! Now what?

Try posting on the Cooking forum, too, where there are lots of cooks who can help you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking forum

o
RE: I made Kefir! Now what?

I'd probably be the only person who would answer you over at the cooking forum.

I use kefir as a substitute for buttermilk in recipes. Drain the curd and it becomes a good substitute for plain yogurt, cream cheese or sour cream (depending on how long I drain it). I have it in a smoothie each morning.

When you get enough grains you can spare some, you can make coconut milk kefir. I use reconstituted powdered coconut milk from Wilderness Family Naturals, but canned coconut milk can also be used (it's just a LOT more expensive to use the cans of coconut milk). This stuff is WONDERFUL made in a smoothie with orange/pineapple juice, or topped with homemade granola. I also take extra grains and ferment 100% grape juice, but these grains will eventually die, so use the extra grains when yours grow and need to be divided.

I use the whey as well (the high-nutrient, high-protein portion of kefir) in lemonade after draining the curd. It's a great thirst quencher when you are outside working in the heat. Better than Sports Drinks....

I use whey in the overnight soak for steel-cut oats and other grains. This makes the grain easier to digest and soaking increases the nutrients. I use whey anywhere I need lacto-fermentation, including sauerkraut. You can read more about this process in "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon.

I usually make 3 cups of kefir at a time for two consecutive batches (this time of the year, as warm as it is in the house, that means one jar overnight, and the next jar during the day), then put my grains in a cup of milk and rest them for a few days in the refrigerator. I think they are "happier" if you use them for 2 or 3 consecutive batches than if you make one batch, then rest them. They grow quicker.

The milk the grains were stored in in the refrigerator will have enough kefir bacteria in it, even after you take the grains out, to turn into kefir, so don't waste it - just sit it out on the counter and it will quickly turn into kefir as well.

If you haven't read the information about kefir at Dom's Kefir Insite, you'll find that helpful.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Dom's Kefir Insite

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here