SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Going Trayless...

triciae
15 years ago

This is a great idea. We stopped serving family-style at home years ago to save on dishwashing. Makes sense to extend that type of savings outside the home.

/t

Here is a link that might be useful: Colleges Going Trayless

Comments (6)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

hmmm...now that you mention it, I remember that The Ponderosa Steakhouse has been trayless for some time now.

Seems like a good idea to me.

Sue

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I don't see the "savings" here. Am I missing something? How hard is it to wash trays as opposed to plates?

The article says they can but down on serving so much food to the students by using plates. We had food served on trays in high school in the cafeteria and I think they did it because they held LESS food than using plates but looked bigger.

The article says "Aramark conducted a study of 92,000 students, faculty and staff at 300 institutions and found that 79 percent indicated they would accept eating off plates instead of trays." LOL. What on earth do they eat off of at home???? Trays??

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I thought they were talking about the trays that hold the plates and not the rectangle plates that look like trays. I can see how the ability to cut down on what you carry would cut down on the waste. If you were to issue students one plate at the door, they'd be forced to think about what they wanted to fit on that plate rather than getting two or more plates and throwing away excess food.

I wish my childrens elementary school would go to actual plates, trays, and silverware. Apparently, the school thinks that disposable is best. I think it's a real waste. Then again, I'm not happy with the way the school teaches the kids to eat either. They kids only have 20 minutes from start to finish for lunch. The kids are told they have to take two bites of everything. Since I almost always send a lunch to school, my 6 yo brings home apples and other food with two bites taken out. If it's not in a reealable bag, he'll throw it away. He wonders why he is hungry later.

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

I guess the money they save by not washing trays will be offset by the amount of broken dishes they will have to replace (when kids are bumped into or just lose their grip on the food).

Not to mention the cleanup of slippery floors, potential for falls, etc.

Really, how can a college kid juggle a sandwich plate, a salad plate, a fruit cup and two glasses (one milk, one water)? Along with their backpack and computer bag to boot!

Ridiculous....

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Oh, I see. They are not talking about the trays with the little compartments that hold the food.

I don't see the problem with having to carry a plate. We're talking about COLLEGE STUDENTS here. Adults. Not little school children that are still learning to coordinate.

I eat at those 'all-you-can-eat' type buffets all the time. (Old country Buffet, China Buffet, ect.) I never had a problem carrying a plate. If someone is handicapped there is someone who will help you. I am sure the schools do too.

I'm sure with the great analytical minds these college kids have they will figure out how to get the food to their table. Of course maybe they will be demanding that the school hire waiters and busboys to cater to them or that their moms show up to serve them at their tables.

And BTW, most fast food joints that offer trays to carry items DO NOT wash them in a dishwasher. They just wipe them down with a rag. True. And that's only if they "look" dirty. Other wise they just get stacked up again to be used for the next persons.

Maybe the trays with the little divided compartments are they way to go if these fully grown adults can't handle the responsibility of carrying plates to their table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cafeteria Tray w/Divided Comparments

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

Oh, I have no problem with 'a' plate.

But how is someone (even an adult) supposed to carry what I mentioned above with two hands?

Sponsored
Candace M P Smith Architect
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Leading Architect and Design Firm in the Greater Charlottesville Area