Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
buying "i bonds"

Posted by dahlia6 (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 16, 12 at 10:07

It used to be easy. I would get a form at the bank, fill it out, give it to the banker, and an I bond would be mailed to me. Each year I get an I bond for my grandson. But this year I find that banks no longer perform this duty. So I went to TREASURYDIRECT.GOV. Well, you can't imagine what hoops they put you through. I still have not been able to complete a purchase with them. So ....any thoughts about this or suggestions. The bank had none.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: buying "i bonds"

Maybe contact the bank & check if you can order through them, to pick up later. They might not hold them but do have access to them. I don't really have much experience with them, outside the few I have sitting in my desk drawer...

o

The bank can't help. What sort of "hoops" are making it difficult for you? Most people find it an easy process.

o

I agree that the banks are out of the loop now.
I think the site is pretty straightforward - what are you having trouble with?

o

I created an account but then couldn't get to the page to give a bond as a gift. I couldn't find a page to show where I would get funds for the purchase. I want to have the money taken from my bank account. Everything froze every time I opened the site.

o

I think you might need computer help. Try the Computer Help forum and see if someone can help you.

o

Oh, and another "HOOP' we experienced. A requirement that the "GIFTED" person make application too on TreasuryDirect. Seems ridiculous to me.
I do lots of ordering online. I am not a novice.
I do appreciate the input however.

o

Is there a Contact Us button on their page?

o

I'm attaching a link that might help you out in getting started.

Easiest thing to do is contact your nearest Federal Reserve Bank - people who answer the phone (and they all have 800 numbers) are very competent and helpful. They can tell you what you need and send you the correct paper forms a bond as a gift. Ask for multiple forms in case this is something you intend to repeat periodically. You fill it out and send with your payment directly to the Federal Reserve. And you don't have to bother doing anything online.

You don't say where you are, but there are 12 Federal Reserves, one of which serves your area: Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Richmond, Atlanta, Cleveland, Chicago, St. Louis, Minneapolis, Kansas City, Dallas, and San Francisco.

I had bought 2 year Treasury Notes through Treasury Direct for years, but now they've done away with those for 13 week notes, and online only. No way I'm going to be tied to the computer every 13 weeks! Too bad, it was such a great program when the interest rates were decent. Now they're not so I'm just letting the whole pile of them redeem themselves as they come due.

Here is a link that might be useful: Federal Reserve

o

We had the same problem trying to buy gifts for our grandchildren, I think because we were not the parent or guardian. I can't remember the specifics. We finally gave up and gave the cash to our sons to invest however they saw fit.

o

bump

o

why?

o

bump

o

Yes, why are you bumping threads?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here