SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie1s

Cash for Clunkers - two questions

Jamie
14 years ago

1. What is a "model year". My car is called a 2002 model, but the mfgr date on the inside of the door (which the Cash for Clunkers website refers you to) says 2001. I believe I am eligible based on Edmunds book value and also on a Ford link that said so, but I'm not sure.

2. My SUV doesn't have 100,000k miles on it yet and it is in good condition so far, even though small dings on the body bring the value down. The odometer reads 95k and I was figuring it could easily last another 30k or more, which would give me at least another 3 years. Plus, this is the first truck/suv I have ever had, and I really love being able to haul things. I think that feature alone saves me money. I used to have to pay to have things delivered to me.

I don't usually trade in my cars, so I am not familiar with what I could actually get as a trade in value without the cash for clunkers program. (Edmunds says about $4000, but doesn't so much depend upon whether it's the end of the quarter and how good a bargainer you are?) Plus, I am not picky about color, newness, etc, so I always get whatever low-mileage vehicle is the best deal on the lot at the time I am buying. Last time I bought a car (2004) I had just begun to have back problems, and the seat was a huge, huge concern. I suspect that will be the case next time, too, and this SUV seat lets me drive for a couple of hours without pain. (The seat has to be good; a lumbar support pillow does not cut it.)

So let's say I'll have to buy a car in three years. Would I be wise to take advantage of this deal now?

My car is a "2002" Olds Bravada. Maybe it will be a collecters item soon because they don't make 'em any more?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert