SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardurnit

The poor Save/The Rich Invest - 55 Gal. Detergent - Let's do it

gardurnit
14 years ago

It's a bit desperate - Money so tight needing an alternate solution for laundry detergent.

Yes - one step at a time.

I've wondered if it would be smart to buy a 55 gallon drum of liquid detergent. Perhaps from a

buddy who could throw it on an order to a hospital laundry. I'm getting to my wit's end.

The last load of laundry was sorted and washed without detergent if it didn't need it.

We can all benefit here a bit. I've got some good ideas. But let's first see if the economy of

buying in bulk is worth it.

I know enough, with my background as a chemist that a detergent is a detergent. I won't go into

details of why your laundry detergent might be slightly different than dish or car detergent. But

they all make dirt float into solution and rinse away. If we can agree on that maybe we can decide

a plan of action.

The dollar has dropped about 10% just this year in buying power. Sadly that's even for the junky Chinese

goods we buy to save money.

Do you own a car wash? What do you use for detergent? I want names and prices.

Do you run a laundry in a hotel or hospital? What do you use for detergent?

I 'll do the research for prices and FOB rates and such. IF anyone is into this I'll do some legwork. That means I'll

check back and leave links and names and prices and ways to make it happen for as many as I can.

Most of us are on R/R tracks into our city. That means that close by a shipment of a 55 gallon drum

can be dropped off for you. If you can get $200 worth of Tide or Purex for $180 you saved 10%

up front. If it takes you 2 years to use it you made at least 5% / year on the deal plus the lack of having

to truck / drive and haul each and every gallon you would have bought.

I can also give you some real life stories of how I've used the non-perfumed and non tinted detergents to

good use for

1. dog bath

2 dish wasging

3. hand washing

4. degreasing car parts

5. degreasing motors

6. hair washing -

Let'sstart with 6.

yep it's really not so bad I have no complants or dandruff. I wash my hair less than 2x / week unless it's

really dirty. I don't use much detergent. Just enough for a lather and I make a point of running a thick

(not soft) brush through the scalp to bring the oils out to the hair. My wife is OK with it but she doesn't

use it as far as know except it's missing more than 1/2 of what I use You figure it out. He hair is perfect.

5. motors. I did it 1x. I brushed it with stiff brush full strength and per out local law collected the waste. It really

just turned to a kind of black cream. It was easier on my nose and hands than the heavy duty gunk.

4. This one was from a buddy. He put it in his parts washer. It ran for 1/2 hour and degreased my entire rear

end on a 10 year old car. It looked like new and there was no heat or anything. Just the pump and some

detergent. Purex.

3. hand washing. I like this. I use left over water or any bottles that are thick. I put a hot paper clip thrugh

the cap. If the hole's too big I squirt a bit of 'goop' brand sealant on it to make it smaller. When I turn the bottle over

it drips out a couple drops and that's enough to wash my hands. The thick bottle keeps the kids from squeezing

it. I can't remmber which bottle is thick. It was a health drink for a dead man.

A medicine bottle would work. Anything that's hard where it can just drip a drop is going to work for ya.

2. dish washing. I soak my dishes and when it's time to actually wash them they're nearly clean. I avoid greasy foods

and if there's grease I try to capture it in a paper something before it greases up the plate. But then if there's grease I

wipe it with waste mail first then a drop of detergent and last some water. Don't dilute the detergent in water first. That's

stupid I think.

1. The only thing that I love about giving my dog a bath is that I figured out he loves warm baths. I first found

out that I could use an outdoor faucet where we had hot and cold. He was so happy and into it compared to how unhappy and scared he was when he got cold baths.. All I can say is .. he can have the bath of his dreams now that I figured out he

only wants what I'd want. A comfortable bath with warm water and some detergent. By the way. It does not sting

my eyes and I doubt that he minds it either 'cause if I can't feel it . I suppose he's OK with it.

Help me find the price of Purex or a non-perfumed / non-colored (dyed) detergent. 55 gal should be about $80. I'm a chemist and can do comparative cleaning ability measurments to determine what's a good deal and what's just a bunch of soapy water. I'll do the work. Make it worth my effort by helping with what you can find. You work in hospitals, car washes .. even fab shops where they wash their metal parts with detergents. Gets some names and sizes and fess up to your buyer and beg for help getting their price. I''ve been there. I know how to shop. But I need some facts to work. Product names, container sizes, upc # or part numbers. Then I can really go shopping. Wouldn't it be cool to get 100 drop shipments from NYC to SF, CAlif on the Burlinton northern and we all , together save $2000 just for working this out? I'm thinking $5000. At least let's go through the motions. It's good for your brain.

God Bless you.

Andre

Comments (10)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm