SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Problem: 400 lbs. meat, 90 degr heat, power outage 6 hour, ongoin

joyfulguy
20 years ago

When the power went out just after 4 p.m. Thursday, I went to my Member Provincial Parliament's office to give him a piece of my mind (couldn't afford too large a piece). Traffic lights non-functional, traffic tie-up en route, didn't arrive till 4:35. Office still open - fortunately.

On way home, rush-hour traffic tie-up at major intersection, I directed traffic - over half a dozen thanked, waved, etc. - one said, "Get off the street!".

Visited old uncle, bad hip, painful movement, to ensure he was O.K. - had radio, flashlight, candles. Goes to bed before dark, gets up (just) after daylight.

National broadcaster gave wall-to-wall coverage, had province-wide toll-free phone to share info.

One guy cried, about 10:30 p.m.: he had 400 lbs. of meat, didn't specify condition, I had impression it may have been fresh, not frozen - if so, substantial reduction in margin time till it would spoil.

I tried to call, for a while in the dark, power returned about 11:00 at my location.

Continued trying - busy signal. Got ringing about 5 times, but after twenty rings reverted to busy signal.

About 4 a.m. got through, suggested that the guy:

-find a van or pickup,

-load the freezer into the back,

-load the meat into the freezer,

-take off to the nearest rural area,

-visit door-to-door in farming community, asking for someone with a generator. Quite a few farmers have them.

I said that I was sure that he would go less than five miles until he found a farmer who'd be willing to fire up his generator, plug in the freezer and freeze his meat.

Would have been a good idea if they took two vehicles, leaving one and operator to keep using the generator from time to time, until the power outage at home was over.

I've borrowed local generators, travelled in blackout area generating for freezers, fridges., a couple of times in last 30 years or so. Usually leave phone number where I can be reached in case owner needs his machine.

Goofed last night - should have got on phone to try to locate some I could use: called over a couple of dozen this morning, none available.

They say they'll have rolling blackouts for something like a week.

Chief problem is that they've allowed generating capacity to have too little additional capacity. In several interconnected jurisdictions.

And have allowed transmission grid to become outdated - they say that quite a number of power stations were kicked down automatically within a period of a few minutes.

With all our increased sophistication over the last half century - it appears that we haven't learned how (or been willing to spend on non-glamorous issues) to operate a power system well.

If I were a terrorist, I think that would have been a good time to strike, if the plans were all in place.

That having been said - I think that the howl about terrorism around here is largely overblown.

Far more people killed annually through speeding, bad driving. Lousy housing. Drinking and driving. How about smoking? Infant deaths due largely to poverty? Drug overdoses - and we're losing that so-called "war".

How much do we yell about those issues?

Fewer deaths per million miles flown than driven on the highways: safer to fly than drive to the airport - but many fear to fly.

Hoo ever said that hooman beans were rational - let alone consistent?

jes ole joyful

Comments (7)