Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh Grainlady,...about those Berkey water filters

Posted by CCinTX (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 11 at 23:43

I was just curious why you chose the Berkey filtration system? I can't find any lab testing that they've done recently that actually shows filtration results. Have you done any testing on your own to find out if they remove more than just bad taste or odor? I'm trying to decide on a water filter and would love to hear what you have to say.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh Grainlady,...about those Berkey water filters

We purchased a Berkey because it doesn't require electricity and the filtration elements can be cleaned and used for a very long time. We use it mainly in the summer, instead of using the electric distiller indoors (which puts off some heat) for purified drinking water.

Because of the long length of time it takes for water to seep through the micro-pores within the purification elements on the Berkey, this increases the efficiency at removing pathogenic bacteria and waterborne contaminants. You'll find more information at the link below. I'd also suggest contacting Berkey for more information, as well as any test results they have on file.

A few years ago I bought a Zerowater filter (the pitcher model), as a back-up water filter, and the Ion Exchange Filters are expensive and don't last long (especially if you are filtering hard water), but the water tastes great.

I also have an electric and a non-electric distiller (emergency use only), for the ultimate purification system. We've used a distiller for our drinking water for 25-years. We calculated the amount of electricity it takes to distill a gallon of water by putting a Kill-A-Watt Electricity Usage Monitor on the distiller - 21-cents per gallon. We use distilled water in our humidifiers in the winter, as well as for drinking water. Our stockpile of emergency water in the basement (around 100-gallons) is primarily distilled water, so we rotate it out to feed the humidifiers. The least expensive reverse osmosis water we can purchase (fill your own bottles) is 35-cents per gallon. But it's only suitable for the humidifiers, not drinking. Our biggest concern with our city drinking water is from farm-related chemicals and pharmaceutical drugs - which can't be treated with simple household filters (PUR, Britta, Zerowater, etc.), nor are they removed by the city water system. Reverse osmosis is incapable of removing all of those things as well. We understood the Berkey would remove farm chemicals and Rx drugs from the water, as does steam distillation.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Berkey Water Filter

o

Grainlady,

Thank you so much for the information on the Berkey's. I hate to spend that much money on one of those without knowing more about them. I can't seem to find any proven results online. I will try to call the company direct.

o

CCinTX
Were you able to find more information?

I'm trying to decide what to do (whole home carbon filter + RO at the sink or Berkey). I'm finding the water purification issue one of the hardest ones in the whole build!! Perhaps because it's a huge cost that I wont actually see.

Thanks for sharing any information you may have gained!

o

My sis tried to sell me a Shakely reverse osmosis system and I told her, I think city water is safer. I talked to a lady one time whose brother traveled all over the US testing city water, all were better than bottled water. She said he would not drink bottled water at all.

All water if filtered with something, that is where the dangers come in and I trust the city water better than a company doing it to sell.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 16:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here