SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markbarbieri

The Cheap Date

markbarbieri
17 years ago

I was reminded today of a conversation that I had with a friend back in our college days. He was telling me about a date he had that ended up only costing him $25 (1984 dollars). I was astonished that he'd pay that much for one date for someone he barely knew. He was astonished that I would ever consider spending even less.

His dates ALWAYS included a nice dinner and usually included other expensive (for college kids) entertainment. My dates were usually to someplace free and the meals were usually either made by one of us or quite cheap.

He couldn't believe that I could find anyone that would be interested in a date like that. I told him that it definitely thinned the available dating pool, but it left the remainder more concentrated with people that I'd like to be with.

Now after about 15 years of being married to a wonderful caring, giving, and frugal woman, I'm have to say that I like the way my dating strategy worked out. We're quite happy with the things we have and are well on our way to putting our kids through college and retiring comfortably.

He's on his second marriage and still fighting to achieve a positive net worth. He did, I must admit, get more dates.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living