Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oven Question

Posted by markbarbieri (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 9, 06 at 23:07

Does the heat in my oven vent to the outside some how or does it just slowly leak out into the house?

When I use my range to boil water on a hot day, will I save energy by running the exhaust fan and exhausting some of the heat, or will I lose energy by replacing that exhausted air with hot air from outside? I guess the only way to know for sure would be to go up on the roof and measure the temp and humidity of the exhausted air as compared to the ambient air drawn into the house.

Maybe we should grill more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oven Question

Yes, there is a vent on your oven. I have warmth come out the top of the range, where vents are located, as well as the door. I'm assuming there needs to be an oxygen exchange.

The quickest (even quicker than a microwave), lowest-costing, method for boiling water is to use an electric kettle. Europeans/Canadians have been using them for years and years. Just be sure to heat the amount you need, rather than a whole kettle full, to get maximum savings. If you need 3 cups, do 3, not 5.....

"When you heat a stovetop kettle you are also heating the shell and handle in addition to the water inside. Additionally, a stove top element leaves residual heat in the resistance coil and its cover tube."

-Grainlady

o

I would think that, given the relative cost of natural gas and electricity here, that it would be more cost effective to heat a kettle or covered pot on a gas range rather than use an electric kettle. Is that not correct?

o

Consumer information about energy use for an electric kettle: "A 1500-watt electric kettle uses approximately 1 to 15 KWh per month. Therefore, monthly operating costs would be $0.08 to $1.22." Contact your utility company and perhaps they can figure out the comparative costs for you on electric kettle VS gas stove + kettle.

If your kettle on the stove has a lot of mineral build-up in it, then it takes even LONGER to heat water. Remember, you are heating more than just the water when you heat a kettle of water on the stove (gas or electric), and you are heating for a longer period of time.

I use an electric kettle to heat water for washing dishes (or washing up after a meal, etc.) rather than running a sink full of hot water from the hot water tank. It takes between 3-5 cups of hot water (plus some cold water) in a small plastic tub for the task, and it takes less than 2 minutes to heat the water. I doubt that you can heat 3 cups of water in a kettle, to a rolling boil, on the stove in under 2 minutes. I also use the electric kettle to bring water to a boil for things like pasta, because it does it much quicker than the stove. I then put the boiling water from the electric kettle into the pan to cook the pasta. I can save even more time cooking pasta by making fresh pasta, which cooks in about 2 minutes.

It's a general rule of thumb that the smaller the appliance the less energy it takes to use - so compare the size of the heating element in the electric kettle to the stove - not to mention the amount of time it takes to use a stove over the electric kettle.

Here's another example of energy savings using a smaller appliance - I can bake 2 loaves of bread in my Sharp Convection/Microwave oven in 25 minutes - without any preheating. If I were to use a regular oven (gas or electric), it takes 10-15 minutes to preheat to baking temperature + baking time, which is 25-30 minutes. I doubt that a regular oven - gas or electric - can beat the energy efficiency (and therefore less cost) of the smaller electrical appliance, and the same thing goes for the electric kettle.

I use a solar oven (Tulsi-hybrid Solar Oven) as my primary source for cooking/baking, so the energy cost (without the electrical back-up) is NOTHING. And NO heat in the kitchen. So if you are looking for even more efficiency, try a solar oven.

And forget using a crock pot if you want to "save energy costs". It's more energy efficient to quick-cook meat (such as pan fry or stir fry) than to cook in a crock pot for 8 hours.

-Grainlady

o

I wonder if a toaster oven is really more efficient than a range oven. I used to believe so, but find that it takes at least twice as long to heat something in a T.O. than in the range. Most (all?) toaster ovens are so poorly insulated that much of the heat leaks out.

If you're wealthy and planning to re-do your kitchen, you could get induction burners which are much more efficient than traditional electric or gas burners.

o

"Does the heat in my oven vent to the outside some how or does it just slowly leak out into the house? "

The answer is, "it depends". Some houses have venting to divert waste heat outdoors, and some do not. Same with the exhaust venting in the hood - sometimes it blows outdoors, and sometimes it just blows right back into the kitchen.

In a cold climate there's nothing wrong with capturing the waste heat. In a hot climate its not good design, though.

o

We're definitely in a hot climate. We just about never use our range vent. It's INCREDIBLY LOUD and it draws very little. There are times when I wonder if it really vents anywhere at all.

o

My oven vents directly into my smoke detector. Talk about LOUD! Plus being in a hot climate, useless. I don't use my oven vent either.

o

Hi Mark the Barbie,

I think if you hold your hand a few inches above one of the stove-top elements when you are operating the oven, you'll find that a substantial portion of the heat escaping from around the oven vents up through that burner.

SO ... put your oatmeal for breakfast with some water on it over that burner.

Have an interesting week.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here