Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Off topic: A sad tale but also true...

Posted by Budster (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 03 at 23:04

A widow friend of mine was telling me today about the touble she is having with her only remaining child. Child I say tongue in cheek. This 40 year old male doesn't seem to be able to hold down a job for any great length of time, cannot control his spending and has been bailed out by his mama every time over the years....now at last she said ENOUGH..and he became angry said...Why are you stopping now? The reason....she has only enough for herself now. He says it all comes to him anyway in the end...and why should he wait....I say it is a good move on her part, but perhaps too little too late....but what a sad tale. I think he needs a swift kick in the hind end.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Off topic: A sad tale but also true...

Hi, Buster! Yep, I agree with you. Sounds like the only attachment he feels to Mama is the one that comes on the check! Awww, man! People like that kill me.

o

Tell Momma to send kid to SSI Disability claims, Got a cousin on that for his mental diabilities. Might be bi-polar.

o

Sounds like he's just severely spoiled! Yet would probably enjoy having a condition with a name so he can continue to get away with it. And to say that it will eventually come to him anyway - that's terrible. Sounds like he might be using the money for drugs to fuel some other habit that could get him in trouble if he doesn't pay.

o

"He says it all comes to him anyway in the end...and why should he wait..."

I really hope she changes the locks on her doors!

That sounds really threatening.

o

It does sound threatening! Funny what Gina said, though. As I read the original post I thought of a family member (who has passed away) who had the same attitude toward his father. He used to visit, and while he was there, he would clean the house like crazy and take care of everything. He had the attitude that if he was there when his father died, it would all be his, (never mind his other siblings.) He would inevitable have a fight with his father and was kicked out until the next time. He was diagnosed bi-polar. So, as I read it, I thought: bi-polar. If not, then very sad.

I love Dr. Phil, so I'll quote him. He says, "we teach people how to treat us." As with other lessons that we teach our children, it may not seem it at the time, but it's always easiest to teach the lesson when they're young, the first time it comes up, rather than to let it slide until they get older. It's also a terrible disservice to our children to indulge them. We think that we're helping them, but we're really hindering their development, as in the case above. Of course none of this is relevant if he is bi-polar. Perhaps this discussion belongs on the parenting forum. I feel very badly for your widow friend. I know several people who are in similar situations with their overindulged adult "children," but they haven't said "NO" yet.

o

This is not bi polar this is spoiled rotten!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here