Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My co-worker saved money on her wedding

Posted by evaf555 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 30, 13 at 21:02

She discovered that the price of certain services went down if the happy couple offered to write a check instead of using a charge card.

The rented a large house for a week, had the wedding at the house, and then honeymooned there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My co-worker saved money on her wedding

Good for her.

o

I bought my dress for under $200. There was a department store that carried formal wear that was going out of business. I found a dress I really liked, tried it on and bought it. It was the only dress I tried on. It was pretty and I knew I wouldn't find a better price so I just bought it! Now to be honest it was 1992 . . .

o

When my daughter got married (two years ago) we saved quite a bit on the open bar. We knew we didn't have a lot of big drinkers and we had a lot of elderly folks who didn't drink any alcohol at all, so we paid per drink instead of per person. We gave the bartender a dollar amount that when it was reached they would come and tell us and we would decide whether to keep the bar open or not. We never even reached that first amount. They did not even charge us for soft drinks. Of course the venue has to agree to this, but it doesn't hurt to ask. We saved about $1500.00. The down side of paying this way is there will always be a few people who think you are paying a set amount per person and will try to help you get your moneys worth by overindulging. You really need to have an idea of what kind of drinkers will be there.

o

You can also save significantly, if you have the wedding at a less popular time, a friend had a Fri evening wedding rather than Sat. or Sun, and the price was SO much lower that way.

Another friend did the destination wedding thing (Jamaica), and it was astounding how much LESS that cost her than having the whole wedding blast. Of course, it was much smaller, fewer could go, but they had a wonderful time for not that much $$$.

o

My daughter and her fiancé won a contest at a wedding expo and they paid for everything. Only downside was, the expo gave only two choices for everything, either this or that. Still, it was the best possible wedding for the lowest cost. (I pitched in for the wedding gown because I wanted her to have a real one, not a rental.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here