SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
budster_gw

Not a tip but a true story.....

budster
20 years ago

Recently spent 4 days with MIL. In the process of the usual fix it things she asked DH and I to do was a request

"What should I do with the bag of coins I've been saving"...now MIL is a bit of a small time gambler and was saving her quarters for the "machines" ..... but she also saved lots of other coins as we found out when she produced a plastic shopping bag of coins....all unrolled and in half not sorted ...some in zip lock bags she'd fill and toss in the big bag. This bag has sat in the closet for the last 4 years....well, let me tell you I let her know in no uncertain terms it is NOT safe to leave bags of coins laying around....anyone could have broken in and taken the lot. I then spent the rest of the afternoon rolling and sorting...she then was concerned the bank would not accept such a huge amount of coin...I assured her I would speak to the teller and explain the situation....a pensioner who couldn't lift the bag herself. The bank teller was a little more than shocked when I plunked this bag...weighing in at I swear 20 pounds or more in front of her. she then graciously accepted and checked our totals and deposited the amount into MIL's checking account. When I got back to the house thinking "A good deed done"...MIL was disappointed I didn't present her with bills in hand...but was pleased to hear the coins had added up to $l83.00 and change. Please if you have someone elderly in your family try to convince them coins belong in a bank not laying around the house. I was sick when I thought of someone breaking in and walking away with this haul. Bud..who is frugal and knows it.

Comments (8)