Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holiday decorations

Posted by TmF1 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 27, 13 at 18:30

Hey all,

I've got a great money saving tip for everyone.

You know how every year we have to go out and buy the same holiday decorations for certain holidays (Christmas, Easter etc)? This year, instead of throwing those decorations out whentheholiday ends just grab a storage bin and toss everything in there. Then just put the bin in your garage and out of sight until next year. Those holiday decorations start to add up, why not save them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holiday decorations

We always save them. The only season we decorate for is Christmas, (yes, I still say Christmas) and we've saved the decorations for over 40 years. I still have some tree ornaments handed down from my grandmother when she was a child at the turn of the 20th century.

o

I do not know of a single person who goes out and buys the same decorations every year.
Everyone keeps them for the next year.

Where do you live, OP, that people are so wasteful?

o

I was sort of wondering the same thing LuAnn. I don't know of anyone that doesn't save Christmas decorations year after year. Granted you may have to replace certain items when they break, wear out, etc. But buy every year...ahh no. NancyLouise

o

I've been married for 40 years--and have ALWAYS saved decorations. Yes, eventually, I may toss some that are worn out (or recycle the ones I'm tired of by yard-saling them). I've NEVER heard of anyone who buys everything new every year.

I have separate areas in my attic for the (carefully labelled) Christmas cartons, Easter, Halloween, Summer, etc boxes. And the holiday linens (yes, I even change out my curtains, shower curtains, etc, for Christmas or seasonally) are stored in the chest of drawers in the guest room

o

From some reason I think this will be spam, it's too weird.

o

When I first read this I thought it was a joke, but then I remembered my old neighbor, He was a bachelor and was actually very neat, but very lazy. For example he ate standing at the kitchen sink so he didn't have to clean up anything. He also ate frozen french fries so there was no pan to wash. After Christmas he put his entire tree out on the curb, decorations and all. Maybe he is the OP, and he has finally discovered that you can actually reuse your decorations.

o

Here it is, Oct. 2nd and today I saw the full Christmas dept. in a home improvement store. I mean, banks of Christmas trees, giant yard inflatables of Santa, etc.

When it comes to decorations, I think "less is more". A few simple and tasteful decos and some lights is all we do, no giant plastic sculptures or a house that looks like it belongs on the Las Vegas Strip. Think of the good those hundreds of dollars could do for the needy at the holidays.

o

Our decorations are subdued. I built a 3/4 size cutter sleigh and put it on the front porch and we place some packages and a small tree in it. Then I run some garland around the porch posts, and that's pretty much it. I have neighbors who, instead of wreathes, have decorated snowshoes they place on the front door.

Then around the first weekend in December we go to the local tree farm and get a fresh cut tree about 5 ft tall to place on a bench we made. We have never paid more than $12 for a tree from this farm. Their average price is $25.

After the holidays I take the tree into the woods in the back and the animals use it for shelter for the rest of the winter.

o

I think he was yanking our chain, pulling our leg = laughing at us for taking him seriously.

o

When you actually need to replace ones that have lost their former glory ...

... yard sales!

ole joyfuelled

o

Welcome to real life. Not only do I have decorations older than me, they are stored in the same cardboard boxes since the 1950's. (Why pay for a storage bin??)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here