SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

Easy savings method...

jamie_mt
20 years ago

Just thought someone out there might appreciate this tip. My fiance and I recently decided to each start saving half of what we'd like our house payment to be when we get our house. It will be a bit more than $600 for each of us (total around $1300 per month), and my "savings" will consist of $120 because I currently have a house payment (so my half of our projected payment minus my current payment is $120).

Anyways, I have a really hard time saving money in my current account, because it's attached to my checking account, and very easy to transfer funds between the two online or via telephone. So last Friday, I went to a completely different bank, all the way on the other end of town, and got a new savings account. No card, no online access, no nothing - the only way I can use it is to go to the bank (which is out of the way). I have my paycheck automatically deposited into my checking account right now, so I'm going to change it so that the $120 gets deposited into that new savings account right from my paycheck. That way, the only money I'll see in the checking account will be minus that savings, and the savings will be a huge hassle to get ahold of, requiring a special trip.

I'm sure it wouldn't work for everyone, but for me, the hassle in getting to the money will help me with self-discipline, simply because it will really make me think before acting. Maybe this should be in household finances since it isn't really about shopping or buying (or not buying) things, but I thought it might appy here as well. :-)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area