Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying or selling a home with outdated kitchen?

Posted by ShowplaceInsider (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 11 at 12:09

In today's housing market, sometimes it is more difficult than ever to get a home sold, especially if the focal-point of the home is a kitchen that hasn't been updated for a many years.

If the cabinets are sound and function well, they can be given a fresh, new look by refacing them. This is a process of changing the doors and drawers on the existing cabinets to a newer style; the specie can be changed and the finish can be updated too.

Current upgrades in materials, adhesives, and installation techniques make this a viable option.

Refacing is a relatively inexpensive way to update the kitchen and help sell a home compared to the cost of a total remodel.

Or, if you are on the buying side, you could get a home by offering less money, then have the cabinets refaced.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying or selling a home with outdated kitchen?

Are you aware that there are separate forums for Kitchens and for Buying/Selling homes?

o

Oops, my bad. Yes I do know that, thought I was in a "money saving tips" forum and that this topic was relevent for people who need to freshen-up a look to sell their property, but might want a less expensive option to a full-blown remodel.

o

as someone who bought a home in the last 10 years?

pre-sale remodels are the brain children of real estate agents, who have had far too free a hand in convincing people that countertops are more important that insulation, that you should pay more attention to the master bath than to the furnace, or the roof...

and look where it's gotten us - crockery-eating granite countertops and uninsulated attics.

o

If I'm buying a home, with a choice between an outdated kitchen, as is/was ...

... and one that's been somewhat upgraded, but that doesn't suit me, at a somewhat higher price ...

... I'll take the one with the outdated kitchen.

Probably use it for 10 years as-is, then upgrade to suit my own style.

ole joyful

o

Last year my brother "remodeled" my Mom's kitchen by putting in new "granite-look" countertops and new cabinet doors and hardwear. Looked great and Mom was super-happy with her "new" kitchen. Brother also re-painted her bedroom. She was seriously ill,and nearly blind but these updates brought her so much pleasure. Mom passed away in January and the house will be put on the market soon. At least the kitchen is presentable!

o

As always, a lot depends on your local RE market. No matter what, the important thing is to clean, clean, clean. It's astonishing to me how many people will invite potential buyers into their homes to let them see dirty windows, scratched-up wood flooring, clothes heaped in corners, mildew-smelly basements and filthy bathrooms.

o

This is Jannie, who posted about my late Mom's kitchen. Even tho my brother did cosmetic updates, when he had a real estate agent in, he was told he must fully update the kitchen if he wants to sell the house. He was advised to spend at least $20,000. The "problem" is my parents' house is in a very expensive town, good schools, and the real estate market is slow. Buyers want a place in mint condition and are not looking for "fixer-upers".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here