Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving on energy bills and ironing

Posted by sylvia55 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 10, 08 at 10:32

Yet another advantage of line drying laundry is that you can spin at the very lowest spin speed your washer allows and hang out laundry fairly wet.
This will mean you:

*save on the electricity your washer uses
*save on wear & tear of your washer
*save on wear & tear of your laundry

And best of all because although I enjoy hanging our my washing I HATE IRONING you will:

*save time as you keep ironing to a minimum
*save on the electricity your iron uses

If you use a tumble dryer you would spin at the highest speed to save energy costs - therefore not getting all these advantages.

I have heard lots of other advantages of using a washing line/umbrella type dryer however have never actually seen anyone pointing out the above.

This occured to me today as I hung out my - very damp - laundry in my lovely English garden on a fairly warm, breezy, very good drying day.

If you would like to see some pics of my garden - see if you can spot my small rotary dryer - go to the

laundrylist.org blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving on energy bills and ironing

I just wear drip dry polyester. 2 seconds in the dryer and no ironing. But, I rarely have to iron my cotton clothing if I dry them in the dryer for a few minutes first.

o

I enjoyed your pictures Sylvia.

o

I wish we could line dry, but Phoenix is too dusty. I like the smell of line dried clothes, but I prefer the feel of dryer-dried clothes.

o

Never ironed anything in my life. Never owned an iron. Never will. Isn't that what college kids use to make grilled cheese sandwiches?

Things get "tumble ironed" or hair dryer ironed if they've been sitting in a heap for a couple weeks. If I hang clothes up timely, there's no problem at all.

o

Maybe when there is no new construction going on we can go back to line drying. The dust and crap just makes the clothes look dirtier than they were going in to the laundry to start with. I love the smell of line dried clothes. I still dry some stuff inside on a line, but the space isn't large enough for a load and the smell isn't the same. Although I tend to have to iron more when line drying. My cotton stuff just doesn't seem to want to shape up as nicely although steam from the shower works ok for ironing.

o

What is this word you use ... "ironing"?
Is that something golfers do?
(LOL!)

o

Anything that has wrinkles- I just spray on Downey wrinkle release and smooth them with my hands - no electricity used at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here