SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josestrauss

How do you save?

josestrauss
17 years ago

How do you make sure that you don't spend all of your income each month? Do you keep a budget? Do you have money auto-deducted into savings before you ever see it? Do you hide it from your spouse? It seems that a lot of people have trouble not spending all of their income every month and I was curious about what techniques the savers find successful.

As for me, I have a couple of approaches. First, my 401K contributions come out of my paycheck without ever passing through my hands.

Second, I have direct deductions set up to withdraw money for the kids college funds and my savings fund a few days after my paycheck is direct deposited. So I see the money in my account, but not for long. I also have my mortgage payment made around the same time. So a few days after I've been paid, the big payments are all made.

I use Quicken to help keep my expenses under control. I do updates at least once a week where I download all of my bank and credit card transactions. I categorize these and then compare my spending against my budget. I e-mail my wife an update showing our discretionary planned and actual expenses and updating her on how much we have left to spend for the month. When we've spent a lot on stuff, we know that we have to be extra careful the rest of the month. When we've been careful, we know that we have a little extra. At the end of the month, any over/under is applied to the next month.

The important aspects for me are that we make saving money one of our top financial priorities and we pay ourselves first. We also monitor our spending to make sure that we live within our means.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio