Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Savings by season

Posted by AdellaBedella (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 27, 04 at 20:03

Since this forum is really slow, I thought I'd post something.

I'm wanting to create a list of things to buy on-sale at certain times of the year. For instance, buy linens in January, an extra turkey or two for the freezer while they are on sale at Thanksgiving.

Does anyone have a ready made list or suggestions? I'm trying to figure out when to stock up on cream of soups, etc., so I can spend less money buying what I'm going to buy anyway.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Savings by season

I don't have any suggestions for seasons, but was going to suggest that if you have a SuperTarget in your area always be sure to check out their clearance section in the food department. Their selection really varies by store location, but I have found some incredible savings. One - I turned a corner and found an employee in the middle of marking down 100% pure maple syrup to 86 cents! Why, I asked her. Not carrying that brand any more. I bought five bottles. Should have bought at least ten! We go through a bottle of maple syrup a month since we eat a lot of waffles and I have several favorite recipes that call for maple syrup. I just finished up the last of my cheap bottles and had to buy it this weekend - $6.
I have also found great prices on dried pasta, canned tomatoes, organic blueberry juice, etc. at SuperTarget. I don't do my normal grocery shopping there, but when I am there buying household supplies or diapers I always swing through the food department to see what is on clearance.

Buy produce when in season - cheaper and tastes better. Example, corn - when it comes into season in your area, stock up your freezer. If you like peach pie in December, go ahead and buy extras now and slice and freeze them.
Do you use a lot of jelly or jam in your house? We do. I have discovered making freezer jams and it is so much cheaper and tastier than buying it at the store. (I got most of my recipes off the Harvest Forum.)
~ Suzie

o

I have one somewhere and will try to post later.

Now is a great time to buy camping equipment, swimsuits, lawnmowers, etc.. Also summer clothes since the fall clothes are about to come out.

Soon, perennials will go on sale.

July 4th is a great weekend to stock up on food, since a lot of things are on sale for picnics.

o

Here you go:

http://www.bankrate.com/dls/news/cheap/20040319b1.asp

o

Clearance fruits for jams, jellies, etc. Some great deals right now for ripe berries in my area.

o

Thanks for the info.

Dh and the kids don't eat jelly so I don't bother to make it anymore. I used to freeze the fruit when I lived closer to an area where it was fresh or pick it yourself. We don't have that here so I'm waiting for the chile harvest.

Thanks for the list. I'll see if I can put it to use.

o

Summer's a great time to buy Christmas clothing at yard sales, thrift stores, etc.

o

A lurker sent me this.

Seasonal Savings

The very last day of the month when it is raining is the time to get
the best deal on a new car if you are very good at haggling and do not
succumb to high-pressure salesmen. Salesmen usually try hard to meet
sales quotas for the month.

September is the best time to buy fine ladies hosiery at department
stores. Order now to get your favorite color and size.

Grocery stores mark down the meat that they did not sell from the
weekend on Monday and Tuesday. You have to get there EARLY though.
Markdowns go fast!

There is a seasonal tire sale, but I forgot when.

o

Now is a good time to buy patio furniture.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here