Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Money saving idea

Posted by ellendi (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 18:27

Start deep cleaning your home. It is amazing the things you find that you have forgotten about. I recently found a can of stain remover, hand sanitizer for my purse and hair clips.
All of these things i would have bought.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Money saving idea

Somewhere there is a treasure trove of single socks, too.

o

How right you are....! We've been on "Project Basement" over the weekend (that's about as "deep" as you can clean in our home ;-). We added some new shelving units in the storage room and put wheels on all the existing shelves. That means every shelf has been cleared, cleaned, and the contents scrutinized. We hope to have the project finished by next weekend.

It's nice to get things reorganized again, the donation box is being filled and a pile of stuff to recycle. I found the bag of tomato fertilizer I knew I purchased on-line last winter with some other things from Gardener's Supply and needed for the tomatoes, so that made me happy.

Now that we're in our 60's, when we take on such projects we tend to suffer from remembering where things used to be, to can't remember where it's new home is (lol), so we invested in storage tubs we can see through, keep like-kinds of things together, and clearly mark the storage containers and it's contents to make locating things a little easier. We also are working on a less-is-best logic.

-Grainlady

o

I deep clean annually... but even if I didn't, nothing gets forgotten about here.
We have a place for everything and do a really good job of keeping everything in its place.

o

I am with Luann on this one except for the deep cleaning. The only socks that are misplaced are the one that fall behind something or get in the the wrong laundry bin. I have a place for everything and 98% of things are in their place.

o

re; the lost socks? Most are in your washer--they can work their way out of the drum, and into inaccessible areas. At least that's what I've been told. You'll never find them, and you'll always think someone else is to blame, but it's the washer's fault!

o

azzalea, I used to blame my husband for the dripped soda on the carpet. After he died I still got the spots. Now I never fill my glass to full and I pay attention. No more spots. LOL

o

How right about the cleaning! If you can't find something to use it, it's the same as not having it.

I saw a tv star being interviewed one evening, and she spoke about cleaning her daughter's room. Together they took *everything* out of the room, and each thing that went back into it had to be something that was currently used. She claimed to do it once a year. With little ones, I guess that would make sense, because interests change and toys are outgrown so quickly.

Emma, I used to blame my husband for not putting things back where they belong (broom, whisk broom and dustpan being the most often misplaced) Then he died. *sigh* It was easier when i had someone to blame

Its those moments when my very organized Mother's voice is heard in my head, saying, "If you put it back where it belonged, you wouldn't always be looking for it"

o

Eva66, Nate Berkus had the same tip on his TV show a few years ago-to really clean and declutter a room, take EVERYTHING out, then bring back only things you actually use. The rest goes elsewhere or gets tossed or donated.

o

I finally figured out where the socks go, they run off with your lost gloves and make those socks with toes!

o

Eva, my husband was so neat. He had a special place for his work clothes, they lay on a chair in a corner where they couldn't be seen. The ones that he wore to the store or sat around in the house were hung in the closet when he took them off. When I hung clean clothes in the closet the shirts were buttoned. If they were unbuttoned I knew he has worn them. He never lay anything on the bed or floor. He was so neat I had to smell the arm pits of his shirts to know if they needed laundering. LOL

o

"I finally figured out where the socks go, they run off with your lost gloves and make those socks with toes!" Good one!

o

Lol , It made my day !
Great idea though . :)

o

Enjoy being able to remember where stuff is while you're "young".

The day will come ...

... and - it gets worse!

ole joyful ... or, I think so

o

I agree with you Ed. I'm sill looking for stuff I saw since I moved here, but I can't find I now.

o

I finally got to cleaning out some shelves in one of my bedroom closets where I store things I don' t use often. I found a new, unopened bottle of perfume, and a new, still in the box pair of 14kt gold earrings, Christmas gifts from long ago I think. I must have stashed them there while doing a quick straighten up before holiday guests arrived. Definitely a nice surprise, and incentive to continue cleaning out all the closets!

o

almost everyone know how to surf the internet, so once you have device which can surfing, you can shopping online. Online shopping is a good way to save time and money for modern people.

o

I did a deep cleaning a few months ago. Turns out I had $2000 worth of junk I didn't Know I had. Just sold it on Ebay (See below)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sell Items For Cash

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here